• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I replace my game rig with this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have rounded up a z370P motherboard, an I5 8600K processor and made a deal on some 2666 ram from the classies.
I game on either 2, three and sometimes 4 1080p monitors with a 4790K @5.0 ghz with 2 980's in sli and it serves me more than well as the games I prefer were released in early 2000 or 1999, yea, old stuff.
so old in fact that one game requires a bootleg patch to run 60 fps and the other is .... well it's 30 fps or nothing.......
my choices are,
#1, stand pat.
#2, put the new stuff in its place and pair it with,
the 2 980's
I have a 970 on the shelf,
I have 2 1060's on the shelf'
and 2 1080's on the shelf.

2 1060's will equal the 2 980's in power but have more vram for more mods.
2 1080's will be awesome overkill anyway you look at it.

I have rounded up a z370P motherboard, an I5 8600K processor and made a deal on some 2666 ram from the classies.
I game on either 2, three and sometimes 4 1080p monitors with a 4790K @5.0 ghz with 2 980's in sli and it serves me more than well as the games I prefer were released in early 2000 or 1999, yea, old stuff.
so old in fact that one game requires a bootleg patch to run 60 fps and the other is .... well it's 30 fps or nothing.......
my choices are,
#1, stand pat.
#2, put the new stuff in its place and pair it with,
the 2 980's
I have a 970 on the shelf,
I have 2 1060's on the shelf'
and 2 1080's on the shelf.

2 1060's will equal the 2 980's in power but have more vram for more mods.
2 1080's will be awesome overkill anyway you look at it.

You can go with the 2 1060s, send me one of those 1080's for "testing" and...What was that? ;)

Seriously though, I've no idea. perhaps just run the one 1080? idk if that is better than 2 980's, but hey.

looking at some benchmarks for the 8600K last night, it looks like just swapping out the cpu and motherboard will give me a little increase but nothing I'll see on the screen but I should be able to measure it with fraps.
that is the first configuration I'll test.

correct, but in a case rendering two cards just look soooooooo sexy.
I'm also starting to think the single 1080 is the best of the options as it should leave less performance on the table than it would with sli 1080's.
with 1080's in sli my 4790K, even with a high clock doesn't keep them at 100% loaded but the extra 2 gigs of ram does let me run a graphics package that really brings gta-v to life, visually.

1060's don't SLI.

Single 1080. ;)

Doesn't the 1060 have some sort of pseudo multi gpu support. I call reading something about 2 1060 out preforming a 1080. But the 1060's weren't using sli.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get 4.9 out of the 8600K its worth the jump I think. Especially considering you can still get a good price for your old stuff if you sell it.

As for video, agree a single 1080. Might need some new cables or adapters to run 4 off one card.

Just found what its called. Explicit Multi-GPU. Doesn't see practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real and best answer .

Test them and find out =)

If I had to guess the difference would be very small . Like you said this difference really only showing up with fraps/AB running .

here is a quick vid I found ( but @ stock settings )

Last edited:
I have decided, my game rig will stay as it is for the time being, it more than does the job and in the tower 900 case it looks darn good doing it.
I'm going to replace my CHVF-Z/8350 with it in my corsair air 540 case.

I have decided, my game rig will stay as it is for the time being, it more than does the job and in the tower 900 case it looks darn good doing it.
I'm going to replace my CHVF-Z/8350 with it in my corsair air 540 case.

Replace your video card with a Titan V

with the gpu market being what it is right now i'llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll just use one from the shelf........

Back