• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I run software RAID 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ipooptoomuch

I'm thinking about running software raid across 2 SATA disks. Both of the disks are different models of WD Caviar. Is it going to hurt me more than it helps if:
One has 64 MB cache and the other is 16 MB.
One has an average latency of 4.2ms and the other is 5.6ms.
One has a buffer to disk of 61 MB/s and the other is 748 MB/S.
One of them has a buffer to host of 100 MB/S and the other is 3 GB/S. Both of the drives have the same seek and write times. Would the answer to my questions be the same if I added a 3rd drive that is also a SATA WD Caviar? What If I added an IDE drive? What type of RAID will give me the best performance?

SPECS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3
SATA controller: 6 x 6GB/s
CPU: Phenom II Black hexcore 1100T @ 3.61 GHZ
Memory: 4x4GB of Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 2000

EDIT: Whoops I wrote RAID 1 I thought it was the type of RAID that makes things faster.

Last edited:
to improve loading screen times and disk performance = Not.

Is it going to hurt me more than it helps = Most likely.

Raid1 will not improve loading times and disk performance. It is there for redundency. It writes the same data to both disks. RAID information.

Im not sure if you can put those in Raid0 (what you actually want) first. If you can, the faster drive will slow down to match the slower one.. which as you described it seems really old/slow. Is one IDE and the other SATA?

Raid1 will not improve loading times and disk performance. It is there for redundency. It writes the same data to both disks. RAID information.

Im not sure if you can put those in Raid0 (what you actually want) first. If you can, the faster drive will slow down to match the slower one.. which as you described it seems really old/slow. Is one IDE and the other SATA?

Yeah I edited my post I meant RAID 0. They are both SATA BUT I have an IDE drive that is also a caviar but it only has 8MB of cache. The read and write seek times, average latency (track to track and fullstroke), buffer to host and disk are the exact same as the faster SATA drive though. Maybe I could just have my OS on the slower drive and have the 2 other disks on RAID.

Mixing and matching in any raid isnt a good idea is the problem. That said there are plenty of people that it works for however, there are also plenty that have issues.

If you want to go R0, get two of the same drive is my best advice. :)

Back