• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I update Asus ROG BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hilarious

Registered
This topic should equally apply to most Asus motherboards:

Since my BIOS 6401 was updated by the shop, I have not attempted to update the BIOS (as recommended in the owners manual). However, since the release of 6401 on 2018/12/28 there have been a further FIVE BIOS updates.
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

While it is understood that updating BIOS runs risk of bricking the MB, it should also be noted that many ROG MBs have a flashback option to recover from a bricked MB.

So, what's the learned opinion on this subject?

N.B My previous MB was an MSI Gaming M7 Z170A - where the standing instruction from MSI was that BIOS should be kept updated in order to fix bugs and update the operational parameters of the MB.

The risk to brick that board is so small, you'd probably win big in the lottery before that happened.

So you should update the bios. Many times it adds support for processors and memory as well as performance, security, and improved system stability just to name a few.

If theres nothing to be gained by updating the bios some members(myself included) will advise leaving things as is. In your case there are several things that can improve performance in the updates available to you so updating to the latest bios is a good idea.
In regards to those we advise to leave their bios version as is experience in updating the bios is a big factor. If the person asking doesnt have any experience with computers or updating bios we may advise against it to avoid them damaging their mb.
I dont think you fall into the latter catagory.

Conventional wisdom has always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you aren't having any issues with the board there is no reason to update the bios. If you are having issues or the newer bioses offer something you need, then do update it. Manufacturers will supply a description of the changes that come with the bios updates. If they don't apply to you, what's the point in updating? Many newer bios updates actually degrade performance in an effort to patch some obscure security vulnerability that don't apply to most end users.

I totally agree. So, why the 'misinformation' in the owner's manual and the Google searchers regarding this subject?

There are even such comments (don't update BIOS) in this forum....

Just pre-cautionary statements. It's not misinformation, while bios updates can go bad... If you do it yourself and haven't a clue how to fix it, it costs time and money.
The thought is that companies are building systems for people.
Here in these forums, your looking at the 1% of people that handle their own hardware at one's risk.

In the past I've had to use the System disk for a board that I messed up the bios on. It was an M3A made by Asus. I slapped in the Mobo Disk and booted from it. Selected bios recovery and installed the original bios on the board and was good to go. Reflashed the bios without issues.

In some cases you can replace the bios chip if no other recovery option is available. Just go to Bios Depot on E-Bay.

I have never messed up a BIOS update thankfully! I think that there is very little to no risk in doing this if one knows what one is doing. It isn't 'Rocket Science' but people find ways to mess things up.

I think BIOS firmware, Chipset drivers, and other drivers should be the most up-to-date as possible with the exception of installing new faulty drivers....

I have never messed up a BIOS update thankfully! I think that there is very little to no risk in doing this if one knows what one is doing. It isn't 'Rocket Science' but people find ways to mess things up.

I think BIOS firmware, Chipset drivers, and other drivers should be the most up-to-date as possible with the exception of installing new faulty drivers....

Just don't play with BETA bios releases, and you'll be fine.
Have updated Hundreds of bios. Including video cards (only a couple of them though)

Update>

I updated the BIOS to the latest version (6401 -> 7403).

Steps:
1. Enter BIOS and load optimized Defaults. Then Save and Exit (Restart).
2. Enter BIOS EZ Flash Utility > Select Update file > Update BIOS. BIOS will update and (Restart).
3. Enter BIOS - Set fan profiles and set D.O.C.P standard for RAM. Save and Exit.

I managed to update the BIOS on the second try as the first USB stick was not being read. The update progressed fine and I was able to re-enter BIOS and setup the fan profiles and selected D-O.C.P setting for RAM.

Now, Upon cold Power On - I always get a double boot and code AA. The code AA is not a problem as this indicates that the system has transitioned into ACPI mode. However, I feel compelled to try to figure out why the MB is now double booting on Cold Start.

Any ideas?

I would check memory frequency and timings to see if they have changed and if they have not maybe you need to change them. What happens if you set RAM to default instead of XMP? Does the double boot go away?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...x-Asus-Maximus-VI-Extreme-from-double-booting

It’s old but...

When you shut down your computer are you turning power off completely or using ErP? Or using a BCLK that is not default? The double boot on "cold boot" is actually normal on these boards when OCing or using BCLK values that are not default...the board needs to make sure it is resetting for memory training talking to the CPU.etc. so I don't think there is actually anything wrong...

As Arne has wrote the double boot is normal for non-default UEFI settings. To disable power to the USB ports when shut down you need to enable ErP in the motherboard's UEFI. This requires a compatible ErP certified power supply and will disable charging capabilities of the USB ports when the system is powered down.

There’s a new BIOS btw, 7501.

Last edited:
I would check memory frequency and timings to see if they have changed and if they have not maybe you need to change them. What happens if you set RAM to default instead of XMP? Does the double boot go away?

I already checked the memory frequency and timings and noted that with my previous BIOS (6401) D.O.C.P was setting CL as 16 as default instead of 15 as marked on the RAM. With CL set to 16 there was no double booting on cold startup. However, when I tried changing CL to 15, the double booting started. So, I reverted the setting to 16 and the problem went away.

With BIOS 7403, I see that D.O.C.P is now setting CL as 15 by default. I have changed this to 16 and have only cold powered up the PC a couple of times since changing CL to 16. The Q code is now showing 40 as per normal but I still have the double boot issue at the moment which may go away after some memory training....

The performance downgrade is negligible as measured on Cinebench 20 with scores of 3964 for CL15 vs 3949 for CL16.

Last edited:

Yes, I have seen this comment in several posts....However, seeing the PC [CRASH] and then recover 2 to 3 seconds later straight after power on is very disconcerting....A few seconds of agony for someone like me who likes to see everything working flawlessly. I can't help but feel that I can/should fix it....(Old tech-industry habit).

I have not seen 7501 on my MB page yet.

I started this thread asking the question "Should I update Asus ROG BIOS?"

And the answer is....

If there are important updates that will improve system stability, performance, security etc then BIOS updates should be carried out.
Disclaimer: Caution is warranted if one is not sure about the process and as I have detailed above, my first USB was not getting detected by BIOS.

I put my rig through several hours of gaming yesterday and saw no ill effects of the recent BIOS update. In fact the pc seems more snappier (possibly due to better memory handling in BIOS).

I have acquired the 'POST Boot' issue which I described as "Double Booting" earlier but I think this is a small price to pay for better/stable system performance.

It is no secret that Ryzen does no like an odd number CL. The difference between CB R.20 scores you cite is really not significant IMO. And did you run the benchmark on each CL setting several times? The score will vary from one run to another even when no changes are made.

Back