• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shut off during game and now no power. PSU??!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

As the title says, my PC will no longer turn on. Today is the only time I have seen any issues from it like this. It would turn off during a game, presumably once power usage ramps up. I lowered my GPU power usage and overclocks as well as lowering my CPU overclock. Now the symptoms are: 5V power, and then the fan lights and disk drive light will flicker when I flip the switch, let the power drain, then turn it on and press the on button.

I believe this is a power supply issue. What are your thoughts?

I have taken out the GPU. The system will turn on without the GPU, but once it is put back in the problem returns. Either this means the power supply cannot take the extra usage from the GPU or that the GPU is dead. I ran the CPU at 100% for a while and the system stayed on just fine.

How do I test if a GPU is dead?

Last edited:
Take a multimeter and test the psu via a 4 pin molex plug from your psu
Ground lead to a black wire, red to yellow for 12volt, red to red for 5
Look for fluctuation and low voltage under stress or even just booting into windows

Have you pulled the Gpu and tried to see if it will start with the on board graphics? If it does, it's usually a pretty good sign the Gpu is dead.

Pretty good sign the Gpu has had it's time in the sun. I'd pull it and see if there are any bulging caps on it. If there is a system you can test it in to confirn it's toasted it would be your best bet. Though< with the I Gpu running I'd clear all the Vga drivers and such, just to make sure it's not a driver problem.

I bought a GTX 1080 for $570 after tax and installed it. Working fine so far.

New GPU keeps failing benchmarks. Wont save the score in UserBenchmark or Time Spy. I have used DDU and updated drivers. Anyone experience this? I am at stock speeds right now on the GPU.

Valley Benchmark runs great with no issues. Temps are under 60C, Score at stock clocks 4459, 1080p 8xAA all settings on.

Games seem to work great.

Last edited:
What is it saying in time spy???? I have no idea what userbench is.

If games work fine......... what's the issue? ;)

The benchmark issue was resolved by removing afterburner. Even the latest stable and beta versions have issue. I've used Asus GPU Tweak 2 fine, but I like afterburner for RTSS.

Looks like the 1080 is running high idle clocks for some reason. 13xx or 16xx. Has to be some power setting. Not home right now though. Nvidia power setting is at optimal power

That's....... odd that was it. I run AB on every PC through dozens of boards and cards without seeing this issue. Wow.

That may be a good idea...

So, if you put MSI AB back on, you don't get scores, etc and things crash?

Weird. Yeah, I can run AB all day and benchmark. I'm assuming it is a one-off/your system issue.

Back