• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shut off during game and now no power. PSU??!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the oven method worked...

For about 30 seconds. Then the GPU started spitting flames. I was quick to the power switch though.

Well, sounds like you pinpointed the problem and the card had to be replaced anyway.

Yeah that's one way to find out right 😂

Glad it only came back to life to take itself out again

front.jpg

This is what blew. Any chance it could run if I remove it? I would be willing to try it in a trash PC. I dont want to risk my main again

It looks to be part of the board's power supply. While it may be repairable, that's a bit more involved than replacing some capacitors on a PCB.

The contacts are royally ****ed. Don't think it can bypass?

It is a voltage regulator for one of the chokes. I feel like it is possible that it could still get sufficient power from the other 7.

I have no idea :screwy:

Last edited:
Ill maybe do some reading on what other people's experiences have been with voltage regulator problems. There are 7 more that could potentially give power to the right places to allow this to work. It doesnt look like it F*'d up anything but the top PCB layer. Im hopeful! Dont know how trusting Id be long term. 20181022_231028.jpg

Sparked and then nothing. Card lights come on and GPU core gets hot, but no output. sad

Well I found the part and it's called a "half bridge driver" if I'm reading it correctly. If that were the only issue I'd say see if you can replace it. Though with the Pcb in the condition it is in, I imagine repairing it and getting it to function would be a crap shoot at best.

Back