• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutting down firewall to boost CPU efficiency... and the tradeoff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

I noticed that when I turn the firewall and scanning applications off, games load much more quickly. But I fear that I have taken down valuable defense sytems by doing so. Is there any way you can block all internet traffic without having to use the firewall lock-down option?

if your using a router, there is no reason to be using a software firewall to begin with. they are crap and don't defend against anyone who really wants to get into your computer.

but you should ALWAYS be running antivirus

Hmm... haha... ok. So I'm assuming my Netgear will do the job that Zonelab is doing? But I still notice blocked traffic. What's with that?

what kind of traffic is it. if you have other computers on your home network its probabbly them just sniffing out the netbios paths...

man zone alarm has all those crap features, trusted zone, full lock...what ever, its all crap, if someone wanted to get into your computer all they need to do is exploit the firewall...

Xenocide said:
but you should ALWAYS be running antivirus
If your careful, and dont do things that leave you unnessesarily suseptable to viruses (ie filesharing, downloading illegal apps, opening stupid emails, ect) you shouldn't need a anti virus. I dont use one and I haven't had a virus in a long time.

Well, I'm paranoid about security, and so I do none of those dangerous activities you listed 9mmCensor. But I feel very insecure without an anti-virus program.

9mmcensor your right, i never do any of that and i have never gotten a virus, ever but i still run it. especially because when i go to lans, you never know what kind of crap is flying around that network.

i don't see why people are so paranoid about security, as long as you do all your updates and aren't pissing off the wrong people / doing illegal activities you have nothing to worry about security wise

if you happened to accept a cookie or dl adware or a virus
it could export its data to the outside world because there is no software firewall blocking it. and you router wouldnt know the difference between genuine traffic and bs.
i keep norton 04 pro or 05 inet security running always :)
about every 1-2 days i get warnings that some1 tried attacking me with random ****.

who knows.

acually if you run a smoothwall router, you can filter outgoing traffic too :D

half of the "attack" warnings are such crap that has nothing to do with an attack...

yes. Start>run>CMD>netstat -n . Tells you all connections to and fro your comp. I personally havent used a firewall or anti virus in months. I have no need. I back my data up daily and i have no fear of hackers beacouse they dont targer home users as much as say a bank system.

Back