• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

side pannel fan humming (side fan mesh stuff)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resx

Registered
hey,

i installed a 120mm side pannel fan today in my cooler master storm scout and its making a humming noise its not the fan its literally brand new its like air its sucking in is hitting the big plastic fan mesh part of the case and making this humming noise if i take the fan off its fine no noise at all . basically just wondering what i can do to make it stop i have the fan turned down all the way in bios to also, so i cant turn it down any further. one more thing i dont wanna go crazy and cut apart my new case lol so dremeling the fins off are out of the question.

just seen the post down below about the same problem im just gonna put a filter over the fan probly use panty hose

If the fan is resonating with the case side door, you might try installing the fan with some rubber mounts between it and the side door or otherwise try decoupling it from direct contact with the side door. Small o-rings might decouple it from the side so you don't have any resonating. Just get some big enough to clear the mounting screws and put them between the side door and the fan body when mounting the fan.

I know this is way late. But I just backed off on the screw a quarter turn on the corner causing the noise.

I had this same problem and this was the first thread to pop up when googleing the issue so I thought I'd offer my solution here. I just did this 10 minutes ago and it almost completely stopped the sound caused by the side grating. I took around 6 inches of electrical tape and folded it end on end so it was a square roughly 10-15 layers thick. Then I cut it into a circle and poked a hole all the way through with a knife. (You don't have to be able to see through the hole, just know that it's there.) Repeat this for the other three screws. Next, without the fan, press each rubber circle up to the hole on the plastic window and screw each screw through the hole and through the rubber circle. (you need some pressure, but it's not too difficult. If it is make the hole a little bigger). After you've screwed each rubber circle on the inside of the window, you can re-attach your fan. The whole process took me around 20 minutes and the results are awesome. Let others know if this worked for you.

NOTE: I used electrical tape because I just had it laying around, a traditional rubber spacer will work, but I'm lazy and didn't want to wait till tomorrow to go out and buy some.

Back