• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sierra Wireless TRUUpdater.exe auto-start can't stop it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've searched through control-panel --> administrative tools --> services and there's nothing listed for TRUUpdater.exe, the executable is one associated w/my USB wireless access point which I don't use anymore because it's too damn expensive. Anyway, I can't find the mechanism by which this executable is being loaded. I searched the registry for TRUUpdater.exe and while the executable came up it didn't come up w/any apparent reference to a start-up folder. I even looked in task scheduler and I didn't see anything there either. Shouldn't regedit find any entries for task scheduler?

How can I stop this executable from loading without deleting it or renaming it?

Have you checked the actual Startup folder for a shortcut within it?

It should have been under Services or the startup branch in the Registry. Only other thing I can think of is checking in MSConfig.exe, but that's just a frontend to the registry itself.

If you still cannot locate where it is starting up, just find the offending program on your drive, and change it from a .exe to something else. If it's locked and you cant rename it, reboot into Safe Mode with no network, and you should be able to rename it then.

[edit] Just remembered, it might be starting up as a task under Task Scheduler, so check there as well. [/edit]

Have you checked the actual Startup folder for a shortcut within it?

It should have been under Services or the startup branch in the Registry. Only other thing I can think of is checking in MSConfig.exe, but that's just a frontend to the registry itself.

If you still cannot locate where it is starting up, just find the offending program on your drive, and change it from a .exe to something else. If it's locked and you cant rename it, reboot into Safe Mode with no network, and you should be able to rename it then.

[edit] Just remembered, it might be starting up as a task under Task Scheduler, so check there as well. [/edit]

I finally found it under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

What's weird is that a search for TRUUpdater.exe came up w/nothing but path information. It took a search on TRUUpdater to find it. I used your renaming idea to stop it, because I might want to use my wireless access point again someday.

Just out of curiosity, why don't things loaded in \CurrentVersion\Run show up in the services.msc or msconfig?

Services is separate from other startups. I don't know the details or inner workings, but most applications ran as a service, start to load up and run before any login, hence they run in the background all the time and do not require a interface to use or access.

Looking through Regedit, there is of course the \Run branch, where programs can be set to run at login, which appears to be separate from Msconfig startup entries. I could have sworn that the entries found in Msconfig though, are a separate branch somewhere in the registry as well.

And for those following along, then there is also the Startup folder in the Start menu which can also be used to startup program at login. And finally there is Task Scheduler which can also start programs (the stubborn ones that won't start via any of the other methods) at login, delayed starts, during a specific action, etc, etc.

So, 4 different ways to start a program at login, and 1 for services. :beer:

Back