• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicone sealant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strogg

Registered
I'm going to use hose clamps to, well, clamp my hoses in my new water cooling rig setup. I'm just wondering if i can use silicone sealant as well for added security, because i know silicone won't bond with certain materials. BTW, i'm using that clearflex tubing, hydor l30, blackice extreme 120mm, and an RBX.

thx

I wouldnt bother. You will have a nice water tight seal with just the clamps, the silicone is just anouther thing to clog up the loop.

I actually used some silicon to seal up some leaks on my first setup, you can also lace barbs with it and stick tubing over. BE SURE TO LET IT DRY PROPERLY, other wise water will get into it and make it all nasty and runny. I personally prefer oversized barbs to clamps and sealent, gotta love having to cut your tubing off :D

There are alot of different silicone sealants on the market, i have tryied some, and some gets rubby-like, when they harden, and others bound with plastics and makes a hard bound, the last one is less desireble as it is almost impossible to deatach things again whitout tearing them up. You should only use just clamps, no need to use silicone sealant. The only place ive used it is on one of my typhoon baytanks for protection, got rid of those nasty rubber washes that comes with the tank they leak badly. Hope this answered your question.

hmm... yeah. so the general consensus is that it can be good insurance but there is really no need, i see. Well, the only thing that got me paranoid were the number of people who have gotten leaks, including my friend's setup. I knew what i was getting myself into, but i never realized leaks were so common.

To waterbug: the one that i have is the rat shack kind that dry nice and rubbery.

Maybe try aquarium silicone sealant? Fill in the space between the hosing and tubing after the clamp to prevent leakage if the seal between clamp and hosing ever gives. It's also fairly easy to take apart with a little peeling and picking. I'd try it myself but I don't even use clamps if the tubing has a nice grip/seal (don't try this at home kids ;)).

If you use Metal clamps and put them on right after the nipple head, where the nipple get smaller and tighten it hard, then i can garante that you wont have any leaks because of the clamps. Where i have seen leakage on other peoples systems they used either plastic clamps, cable ties, or just tightned the clamp in the wrong place, ie where the nipple ends for example.

unfortunately, there were no metal hose clamps for sale at the store i got it from, so i bought the plastic ones instead:( Anyhow, i'll take your advice on where to tighten the clamps and hope i won't run into trouble

Any hardware store should have metal hose clamps. If you can tug at your tubing with the clamps on then they should hold up fine. Depending on the barbs you use, the tubing alone can sometimes grip more than enough to prevent any slipping.

The clamps are enough to keep the water from leak make sure you have a stainless steel type like Tridon, USA made, and make sure you buy the right size. If the clamps are larger than the one that you suppose to use, It will leak because the clamps will not properly shaped after you tighten it up, It will became oval.

Back