• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF (versus) New Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T1Cybernetic

I have been thrashing, erm i gently stroking my Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF for some time now (2 years+ give or take) and it's been going strong. It never really fluctuates and has been rock solid stable for all this time, i even randomly checked with the multimeter just in case of problems and for peace of mind but the time has come i was wondering if it was time for a change!

Just what is the expected lifetime of a decent power supply like this zeus i have? Basically i am asking what you would do! & what do ya think i should do.

"EDIT"

Personally i don't think i need the upgrade just yet as i said above the power supply is working fine :cool: but here's some system spec for your viewing pleasure.

-ASUS M4A78 AMD 770/SB700
-XFX Ati Radeon HD 4870 1GB
-AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GB
-LiteON LH-20A1P +/- CD/DVD RW
-OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 (PC 8500)
-Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA-II 16MB

Im water cooled, nothing special just the cpu is cooled although i am thinking of putting water on the chipset soon as it is a tad warm!

I have been thrashing, erm i gently stroking my Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF for some time now (2 years+ give or take) and it's been going strong. It never really fluctuates and has been rock solid stable for all this time, i even randomly checked with the multimeter just in case of problems and for peace of mind but the time has come i was wondering if it was time for a change!

Just what is the expected lifetime of a decent power supply like this zeus i have? Basically i am asking what you would do! & what do ya think i should do.

"EDIT"

Personally i don't think i need the upgrade just yet as i said above the power supply is working fine :cool: but here's some system spec for your viewing pleasure.

-ASUS M4A78 AMD 770/SB700
-XFX Ati Radeon HD 4870 1GB
-AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GB
-LiteON LH-20A1P +/- CD/DVD RW
-OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 (PC 8500)
-Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA-II 16MB

Im water cooled, nothing special just the cpu is cooled although i am thinking of putting water on the chipset soon as it is a tad warm!

T1,

Keep it, it's a first class unit. Longevity is hard to determine but you're shouldn't be close to a replacement with that unit and you're not straining your rig whatsoever. Keep it clean, blow out the dust and let 'er run.

Just what is the expected lifetime of a decent power supply like this zeus i have?

At least 5 years. Mine's not getting any breaks - it's on the top floor of the house running an old 5V based rig where the ambient temp gets over 40 degrees on a regular basis.

Mine is nearly 5 years, used on 3 different computers as I upgraded.

Still doing fine like it is brand new. So keep it, even when it becomes faulty.

Thought as much, i just needed to hear good things from other people :beer:

that psu still has a long way to go man...dont buy a psu and make a separate loop for your gpu or buy a 2nd 4870 ;)

As soon as i buy a decent motherboard to unlock the other cores on this cpu (if all goes according to plan) then i another 4870 is on the list ;)

Thanks everybody :thup:

Rock solid unit. I've owned a few, ran one on my secondary rig for a couple of years. No problems. I'd put it right up there with the Zippy in my sig.

Mine is powering a 550 and 4890 as we speak.

It was not powerful enough to handle a 920 oced and two 4850s also OCed though.

Side note, anyone else have problems with their sata power ports? I got mine used with 2 broken sata power plugs, and just yesterday hooking up the HDD, broke another.

Cheap crap connectors?

Those connectors are usually cheap crap no matter which PSU they're attached to.

Those connectors are usually cheap crap no matter which PSU they're attached to.

Yep, they scare me to death, especially those that connect directly to pins on the motherboard. :eek:

In tight places I always heat and pre-bend them so they connect straight on and don't pull in any direction on either end. Man, I hate using those suckers.

Back