• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple backup program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJ White

Registered
Hi,

My grandfather has recently bought an external HDD and he would like to put backup's on the thing, I said I would help but now my question is:

Is there an easy way to backup important files (user documents etc.) to an external hdd without going into the windows backup utility? Or are there programs that automatically backup when the disk is plugged in?

What version of windows... Windows has it own backup now if you want to use it. I am not saying it is good or bad so please nobody fire on me for recommending it.

But it is there on certain windows systems 7 for sure vista maybe xp doubtful

I know it's there, and I have used it, but I need something that automatically updates when the drive is plugged in.

I use Sync Toy from Microsoft. They have 32 and 64 bit versions. I set up a task to run (Task Scheduler) every two days to backup all folder pairs that are active for "Run All".
You can have it run every day or less often if you like. I'm not sure what software is out there for active file monitoring to backup in real-time.

EDIT: here's a link to the destructions over at How To Geek.

Last edited:
Most external drives come with software like what you are asking for. Maybe go to the drives website and see if you somehow deleted it on accident.

Back