• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake 6700 vs 5930 For SLI 980GTX Ti Setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

I am getting ready to build a gaming rig. I truly want 2 980GTX Ti cards in SLI setup. I want 16x/16x, not 8x/8x that most boards have and I am not sure if the LGA 1151 & skylake 6700 can support it. Am I wrong? I am also not sure if there truly would be much difference on PCI Express 3.0. I know on 2.0 or below 16x/16x was the way to go.

The difference in cost is only going to be about $200 more total for the whole rig to get a 5930 setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Skylake has only 2x8 setup but it won't matter much in SLI. There is barely any difference between pcie 3.0 x8 and x16.
Only for gaming 6700K will be fine. In similar price you can make 5820K setup. Most games can barely use more than 4 cores so it won't matter much which way you go. If you are planning dedicated setup for some titles then better check if they're using more cores or graphics in SLI. There are games that are not using SLI or performance gain isn't big.

Totally agree with Woomack on this one. If you wanted to (or planned to) run more than 2 cards or were interested in mad benchmarking action then I'd go with a 2011 build of some sort for the 40 pcie lanes. From a cost effectiveness pov, a nice 4930k can be had for around $250-300 and it'll let you use your existing ddr3.

I plan on a dell Up3216Q 32" monitor with a 980GTX Ti via display port. Will this have issues with tearing?

I have a related question. Hope you don't mind.

Which CPU are people having more success overclocking? 5930 or the 6700? Thanks ...

A question I should have asked earlier. Since the skylake only has 16 pic express lanes CPU support. Running 1 card is 16x, however 2 x 980GTX ti would be 8x/8x thus using all the cpu bandwidth correct? There would be no room for a M.2 PCI Hard drive then without a bottleneck?

You will have to look at what the motherboard does. The Skylake motherboards add in more PCIe lanes with the chipset.

4 core or more depends on what you are going to do with your PC in addition to gaming.

I went for 6 core as I do more than just game (I have yet to find a game that uses more than 20% of my CPU power).

When I game now, I have my PC doing other "stuff". For instance, I can do video encoding with Handbrake and play top end game titles at the same time. The game runs great. I can do Folding@Home and game at the same time (with the GPU folding turned off). No issues.

I plan on a dell Up3216Q 32" monitor with a 980GTX Ti via display port. Will this have issues with tearing?
depends on so many things, there isn't an answer here.

I have a related question. Hope you don't mind.

Which CPU are people having more success overclocking? 5930 or the 6700? Thanks ...
best make your own thread as this has nothing to do with overclocking these cpus. To give a quick but not complete answer as I don't know what you mean, the 6700 will clock higher in the end...

A question I should have asked earlier. Since the skylake only has 16 pic express lanes CPU support. Running 1 card is 16x, however 2 x 980GTX ti would be 8x/8x thus using all the cpu bandwidth correct? There would be no room for a M.2 PCI Hard drive then without a bottleneck?
depends on the board, but for skylake, it comes from PCH so it wouldn't effect multiple cards.

Back