• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeper Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayM026

Hey guys, I’m new here, just wanted to post up what I built. I’m a big fan of the old Antec Cases. The first case I ever bought for myself to build a pc and I’ve never changed it. Antec SX1040ii B in black, just recently updated it to an i7 8700k, nVidia 1080ti, 960 Evo Pro SSD, 64GB of GSkill Ram and all new Arctic Cooler Fans and a SeaSonic Titanium PSU.

My Old Setup

15e8f76e624a8a7c9d11add1ffca214f.jpg

Removing Guts

502f611dbb3b3a6654491cce7f42425f.jpg

Empty and Clean!

8dc94fb005b3481d58d53d549dca2e66.jpg

New Stuff - Spoilers that PSU was removed for a modular SeaSonic 850w Titanium and cable management was completed.

b9286b3a90a39552163cd1901cdb3ea7.jpg

Cause I’m Old School needed a Fan Controller and Hot Swap Bay to fill out the 5.25 bays

a6656270f4560d6b8458d1746ef472f5.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking build, I too am a fan of old Antec cases.

I think I have a nearly identical Antec Case. Last year I had an Intel 2600K in it but that's been sold off and it now sits empty.

desk.jpg

Antec Case11.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking build, I too am a fan of old Antec cases.

I think I have a nearly identical Antec Case. Last year I had an Intel 2600K in it but that's been sold off and it now sits empty.

View attachment 198759

View attachment 198761

Thanks! Very nice! Yea I love mine, I tried to find another one like it NOS but I couldn’t find one anyway, not even the newer TX Series could I find sadly.

Actually just finished up my real sleeper and even older antec case I can’t even figure out the model number for, got the case for $20 bucks.

cfbae9dda67207a5fceedd74181945b2.jpg

Cleaned it all up, tried to get beige components

d05f242514750de6076e1d215ee5b0bc.jpg

e2e44467a831a96cbdd319d8eaeb4e33.jpg

[ 7471a13f60761505e8bc68f6e42a0aa4.jpg

Sleeper Outside :D

Last edited:
I have the same case, although the mods I did on it make it look a bit "modern".
This picture was taken back when the front panel display (tablet) was still working. Might give a try to revive it by using a Raspberry Pi as a LCD controller.
i7_PC.JPG
This picture is very recent.
i7_PC_2.JPG
Expansion cards, top to bottom:
* PNY GTX 970, with 3D printed "strut" ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:961487 ) to prevent sag.
* USB 3.1 card with Type A and Type C ports. I upgraded the power delivery circuit so it will charge tablets and phones with ease.
* High speed (20MS/s 10 bit) digitizer card with RF AFE and DSP. Basically a older but slightly more capable version of a RTL-SDR.
* Quad gigabit Riverbed (Intel) NIC, to replace a flaky dual gigabit Broadcom NIC. Has 3D printed bracket ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2896793 ) to prevent sag although it is very well hidden when installed.
* Quad RS232 card, for debugging embedded systems.

So many people have built sleepers out of the chieftec dragon and its clones that one almost instantly has to amuse its a modern system inside.
And for good reason, its a nice case. Plenty of room, good build quality and its well laid out. About the only thing hurting its use of 80mm fans.

Another good case from about the same time is the Intel Sc5250. Its even uses 120mm fans, I even had a 120mm and a dual 60mm rad in it back of one once. But good luck finding one, they are rather rare.

Last edited:
Well I had to hunt but I have one of these still new in box, starting to slowly get bits and pieces.

30cf80effac5134cfb74d1ad0c5d08ba.jpg

So many people have built sleepers out of the chieftec dragon and its clones that one almost instantly has to amuse its a modern system inside.
And for good reason, its a nice case. Plenty of room, good build quality and its well laid out. About the only thing hurting its use of 80mm fans.

Another good case from about the same time is the Intel Sc5250. Its even uses 120mm fans, I even had a 120mm and a dual 60mm rad in it back of one once. But good luck finding one, they are rather rare.

Yea true the fans are rather small at 80mm but they still make some quality fans that are super quiet and move some air. I do wish they could accommodate 120mm but I’ve never had an issue because of heat yet haha, but you can’t beat steel 1mil thick. :)

Yea true the fans are rather small at 80mm but they still make some quality fans that are super quiet and move some air. I do wish they could accommodate 120mm but I’ve never had an issue because of heat yet haha, but you can’t beat steel 1mil thick. :)

The 80mm fans aren't going to kill the cooling and there is defiantly some good ones out there still, just kind of.. Well meh, if you know what I mean.
120mm or even 92mm would be nice. but the 80mm fans do make it look more old school.

But 1mil think steel case are nice, not to many cases are made with 1mil or thicker steel anymore.

Thanks! Very nice! Yea I love mine, I tried to find another one like it NOS but I couldn’t find one anyway, not even the newer TX Series could I find sadly.
If you are interested I would be willing to part ways with it. Although shipping would be a bear.

If you are interested I would be willing to part ways with it. Although shipping would be a bear.

I have shipped alot of bigger cases in the past, even small engines. Its not that hard or costy if you have the right box and shipping supplies and use the right services.

Ground shipping is your friend, and never use packing peanuts or air bags. But the hard foam stuff with a layer of buble rap around the gaps. Pay for your shipping online via paypal and most cases will cost no more the 35-40$ to ship.

If you got a shipping quote and didn't need it I could give it a good home, and ill pay shipping. Let me know PM Me.

My last Antec AMG1000 PlusView Build for my Collection.

85bfea43720556fea7b79aa9fe9e3a5c.heic

good stuff guys. i used to have a tower that was built by chenming for koolance. looked just like yours except it was really tall. it had a built in wcing loop that was junk but at the time it was awesome! chenming is actually the source manny that built those for chieftec/antec/koolance etc... they will be around for a good long time.

Back