• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeving a PS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snakebyt2K

Registered
would 4 foot of sleeving be enough to do a standard PS? Im ordering all the sleeving and shrink this weekend. Also getting the molex removal tool from radio shack today

Hmm. I think that most people usually allow for about 10 feet of sleeving. But that is only from what I have read.

Hope this helps,
Scott

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS...!!!

each psu is probably a bit different. my ttgi's have a lot of connectors, and the cables are all pretty long, so, even 10 feet may not be enough, however, i think 4-5 feet would be enough for the old 145 watt psu that was in my first pc a couple years ago

the only thing i would suggest is to measure the length of all of your cables and wires that will be covered, and then add an extra foot or 2 to the total to cover errors....
;)

You can use screwdriver to remove the pins.

Check out my sleeving :
psu_sleeving.jpg

It costed me $0

Now I have to sleeve the big ATX cable to the mobo, but it looks bad with the tape so i have to look for something different

I am actually going to do a PSU sleaving tutorial within the next week or so. Waitin on some sleaving to come in.

I buy in bulk, but 10-12 feet should do you. 1-2 of 1/2" for the ATX 20pin, the rest 1/4" or 3/8". 1/4" should be best for molex's. Then get 1ft of 1" shrink and 2-3ft of 1/2" shrink.

Best places for shrink and sleaving is www.performance-pcs.com or www.svc.com .

Molex's you need to use a small jewelers screwdriver to remove the pins, or a molex extractor. The ATX plug and 12v plug, you need a mini-fit molex extractor. Though they cost ab $20. If you can figure out a way, then use two really really small screwdrivers to reach inside that plug and get those pins out. Rem to label them or you could end up kicking yourself.

Or you could bypass that whole mess and just get a PSU with atx 20pin sleaved (though I have the tools :)).

Ok thats all for now, untill the tutorial.

Fushy, will 1/4" s;eeving and 1/2" heatshrink be big enough to go over the molex connectors without taking them off? I am pretty sure that the sleeving will expand enough, but will the heatshrink fit over?

No not at all. 1/4" expands to about 1/2". The 1/2" shrink is 1/2". Its really helpfull to take the molex's off first. Saves you alot of hastle in the long run.

How easy is it for a first time modder to take off those molex connectors and not ruin them in the progress? Does the little tool make it easier or is the screwdriver just as easy?

It's very very easy ! You don't have to worry, screwdriver is very good tool :)

if you look in the molex on the connector side you can see on one side of the male/female pin there is a little tab that is bent out to catch the plastic connector. all you gotta do is take your little screwdriver (i just got a cheap tiny eyeglass repare kit from the grocery store checkout line for like 2bucks) and push that tab against the pin. the tab will fall back into the plastic hold and then you just gotta push the pin out of the plastic molex connector.

Fushyuguru said:
I am actually going to do a PSU sleaving tutorial within the next week or so. Waitin on some sleaving to come in.

I buy in bulk, but 10-12 feet should do you. 1-2 of 1/2" for the ATX 20pin, the rest 1/4" or 3/8". 1/4" should be best for molex's. Then get 1ft of 1" shrink and 2-3ft of 1/2" shrink.

Best places for shrink and sleaving is www.performance-pcs.com or www.svc.com .

Molex's you need to use a small jewelers screwdriver to remove the pins, or a molex extractor. The ATX plug and 12v plug, you need a mini-fit molex extractor. Though they cost ab $20. If you can figure out a way, then use two really really small screwdrivers to reach inside that plug and get those pins out. Rem to label them or you could end up kicking yourself.

Or you could bypass that whole mess and just get a PSU with atx 20pin sleaved (though I have the tools :)).

Ok thats all for now, untill the tutorial.

Looking foreward to the tutorial, thanks for the tips

all you fat cats with your 7dollar molex extractors!

jk. Good luck with the sleeving, my psu came with the ATX sleeved and i love it!

Back