• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI in a Nutshell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree, this should be stickied. However, you should also go a little bit deeper and bring up such topics as required power, required cooling, and SLI overclocking... or at least make another thread with those advanced topics.

JudgeDredd said:
I agree, this should be stickied. However, you should also go a little bit deeper and bring up such topics as required power, required cooling, and SLI overclocking... or at least make another thread with those advanced topics.

Good idea, i'll do that. I finished writing this at about 11:15 last night, so I was kinda tired and overlooked that.

[EDIT] Done! Thanks for the tip! [/EDIT]

Last edited:
i pm,d hoot since he was the first mod to go online only a few hours after the posting of this thread.unfortunately i didnt know he only goes online about once every 24 hours! my work is done here :) .

good thread, but i noticed one error.

You need 2 IDENTICAL (same model and brand)

this isn't totally true. i like to think of SLI as dual-channel for gfx cards. anandtech's review of SLI stated that you can operate a 6600gt and a 6800gt, for example, in SLI. just like dual channel would treat a stick of pc2700 and a stick of pc3200, your graphics will only perform as best as the slower card. so, a 6600gt and a 6800gt in SLI would essentially perform like 2x6600gts. now, i don't know why you'd want to do that, but i just know the option is there.

like dual-channel, though, although you don't NEED 2 identical sticks of ram (or gfx cards in this case), in order to run your setup optimally, you will WANT 2 identical sticks of ram (or gfx cards).

other than that, excellent thread. :)

Anandtech.com said:
Two graphics cards with identical GPUs from the same manufacturer. Video BIOS revisions must also be identical.
nvidia.com said:
Can I mix and match graphics cards?
No. NVIDIA currently doesn't support SLI on two different models or from different vendors. SLI supports configurations with the same model (i.e. 6800 Ultra) from the same vendor (Vendor XYZ). A common misconception about SLI is that the BIOS revision has to be identical between the cards. This is not true. A manufacturer can revise the BIOS without affecting SLI.

Might want to check your sources ;) , though apparently, even anand doesn't get it right all the time.

Great thread...youve doon your research :)
Learned a few new thing 'bout SLI
Now that crossfire is out you need to do a thread on it to

Just to claify (man that was alot of reading, ahah) if I have 2 XFX7800GTXs I want to run in SLI but one core is 450 and the other is 475 both cards would clock to 450 right? Like the faster one would underclock to match the other right?

Im asking this cuz Newegg just stopped selling the 450Mhz 7800GTX thats been out since launch when I bought it.

If you have the latest drivers, then you shouldn't have a problem. I didn't know there were two versions of the XFX 7800GTX. The faster one is probably just an OCed version of the slower one anyway, so they are probably physically identical.

Reorganized SLI-Compatible GPUs list, added 7900GTX, 7900GT, 7600GT, Quadro FX 540.

[EDIT] OMG, I just realized this thread is almost exactly a year old! Wow, seems like just last month I typed all this up...[/EDIT]

4 monitors on 7900gtx

is it possible ot have 4 monitors connected to 2X7900GTX in sli? if not how many is the max?

Back