• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sli'd 7800gtx or single 512mb gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
by the time 256 cards don't cut it the new cores will be out and the whole upgrade path starts again.

512 cards aren't needed yet & this has been shown

marscay said:
by the time 256 cards don't cut it the new cores will be out and the whole upgrade path starts again.

512 cards aren't needed yet & this has been shown

I don't agree with you at all. It all matters on how much you want to spend and other factors like what resolution you run natively and what not. I know that my 2405fpw would love the extra 256mb of texture memory when I run 1900x1200 with AA and AF turned on. Benchmarks show that there are pretty big gains to be had with the ultra card, but it just comes down to what YOU'RE personally looking for and how much YOU want to pay to get it.

can you show me a review where the 512 card shows a difference over the 256 when theyre at the same clocks?

i've seen one where the scores are pretty identical at all resolutions, can't remember which site.

1900x1200 certainly benefits from the extra memory bandwidth in teh 512 card but i'm pretty certain the actual bump to 512 has little to do with it.

the only true benefit i can see at the moment is being able to run doom3 with uncompressed textures in ultra quality......worth £1000??? :shrug:

and back to the thread starter ......gaming with fear or cod2 in 19xx res with filtering = too much horsepower lol ....even with the 512mb GTX in SLI you would be majorly cpu bottlenecked before u got great results

looking at the anandtech results in fear @ 1920x1440 with no filtering he got

7800GTX 512MB 46
7800GTX 256MB SLI 56
7800GTX 512MB SLI 69

add some AA and your framerates goto ****.

these results also seem to indicate teh extra 256mb makes no difference in fear at least.

Last edited:
Back