• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slot-loading CD drive and 5 1/4" floppy faceplates...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

Another idea...

Can a slot-loading CD drive be installed in place of a 5 1/4" drive while still keeping the drive faceplate intact for looks? I have a 286 that's slated to be a DOS/Win95 box for old games that Navi is way too fast for.

Dreamstalker said:
Another idea...

Can a slot-loading CD drive be installed in place of a 5 1/4" drive while still keeping the drive faceplate intact for looks? I have a 286 that's slated to be a DOS/Win95 box for old games that Navi is way too fast for.

I love the Lain reference :D. But I cant see why you couldn't mod this up, I wanna see pics of this, I though about this a few years ago but never did anything with the idea.

Depends on the stiffness of the drive cover. My old rc-530 had really stiff springs on the drive covers, and gave me problems on certain standard drives. I guess you could stretch the springs or cut a coil off of them if they are so equipped, that is.

Back