• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Networking with MS Access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chris6104

Registered
I'm running a small business. We only have three computers the one I use acts as the server. I'm using 3com Networking cards with a D-Link 7 port router. My network seems to be working great for everything but MS Access. I recently designed a new database for my business. I've split the tables to the BE. I then installed all the forms, querys, reports, macros ect on the other two computers.
For some reason it takes forever to get the forms to load on the other two computers. The tables and querys are slightly faster. Also everything else that is accessed on the network is at good speeds. Things like Excell World and other files. The only thing that hangs and drags are the Access forms.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
How big is your access database? Access is not scalable at all, and will go VERY slowly over the network once it's size reaches anything but "small".

I would recommend, if possible, redesigning for MySQL or another [real] SQL engine... then it will be very, very fast ;)

The backend is only 1.7megs right now. It's not very big.
After a years worth of use I wouldnt expect it to get over 100megs.
I think Access maxes out at 5gigs.
It just dosent make sense to me why it runs so slow on the other computers. Even if it was pulling all the information from the backend everytime you open a form, it's only 1.7 megs. :bang head

Back