• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small thermal paste spill by the side of cpu :( Dangerous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UncleGrandpa

Registered
Hi all, I wanted to ask a quick question. I posted about a month ago about a friend who helped me when my computer wouldn't start. He supposedly studies CS but seems to be a bit of a newbie as he said my 650w PSU was probably too weak for my build (which is using about 200w). Anyways, I'm very grateful that he helped but I'm a bit worried that in putting it together he spilled just a bit of thermal paste on the side of thw cpu (photo). Is this dangerous? Should I try to get it out? The only reason I noticed is my computer won't start up again so I figured I'd take the opportunity to clean up the cable mess and put it back together again. I used a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the bit of grease on the mobo's CPU slot, but that bit on the green side of the CPU I just can't get to :(

20181128_010930.jpg

On this picture you can see the dark stuff all around the cpu plate, on the green part

20181128_014918.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

thanks OptyTrooper, makes me feel better :)

Thanks Maviryk! Hopefully it's not an issue. The reason I think it's thermal paste is it wasn't there before, I was trying to find the pics I took while building it but the CPU is barely visible. Hopefully he didn't use a conductive paste as I heard those can be more of an issue if they spill right?

Here's an older pic, but the quality is bad.
20170223_063818.jpg

It always looks like that, I mean that black stuff. Sometimes is a bit more, sometimes less. It's to hold the IHS in the correct place. Don't worry, all is fine. Well, at least CPU and socket on your photos look fine. I can't say nothing about other issues.

As others have said, that isn't thermal paste. It should be clear from your image above that isn't thermal paste as it is grey/white and on TOP of the CPU. That black is silcon/glue to hold the IHS on like was said earlier. :)

so whats up with your rig UG? if you need help we will be glad to try and get it running again.

UncleGrampa even if he did use a conductive paste, which is not necessarily bad, and it get on the green CPU PCB it is not an issue. You do not, however, want to get conductive paste under the CPU into the socket. That would be an issue.

Did you ever get this system back up and running?

Not at all. Honestly once you DELID you will see how gunk around those parts don't mean a thing, EXCEPT you could be increasing your CPU temps a tad. I went the delid rout on my 8700k and decided not to apply sealant so that my temps would be a tad better since the motherboard clamps the IHS down tightly anyway. Sealant will raise CPU temps so less is better.

Back