• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smart Advertising - Ads Based on Recent Research

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

For sometime now I noticed that almost every page or web site I go to displays advertisements targeted to products I recently researched. These are not pop up ads but ads integrated into the sides or top of the page. I cannot put into words how this pisses me off. Is there any way to stop being tracked and targeted like this.

Adblocks certainly help. Checkout what extensions are available for your browser. I used to use them a lot but forums that I enjoy often need the revenue they generate and I got tired of setting up inclusions. I do not use them anymore and often wonder if they are worse than the issues they resolve. I am a bit peeved at the moment because I bought men's underwear last week now I have ads of men's underwear barely covering the dangly bits. Lovely. Time to go to PC sites and check out a lot of gear

The damn ads are invasion of my privacy. I do not like the idea of something keeping track on what I research, even if it is something as benign as a seat belt extender that I searched for this morning and now appears in ads on too damn many pages.

Internet retail is a great convenience but there appears to a big and maybe unacceptable privacy price to pay for the inconvenience.

As far as web pages needing the revenue from the ads, they did fine not too long in the past without these targeted advertising so they are not necessary now.

I believe most browsers have a do not track option built into them now.

Thanks Janus67. Found it, disabled tracking, and the world is good again.

Would that be (never allow websites to request your physical location?)

No, I left that unchanged although I do not know the pros/cons of not allowing a web site to determine where I am.

In Internet Explorer, Ver 11, in the "Tools" drop down menu, the third line from the top turns tracking on and off. I used that to turn tracking off.

Firefox add on "adblock plus" works wonders also, if you can get away from IE 11.

No, I left that unchanged although I do not know the pros/cons of not allowing a web site to determine where I am.

In Internet Explorer, Ver 11, in the "Tools" drop down menu, the third line from the top turns tracking on and off. I used that to turn tracking off.
OK Thanks, I'm learning lots of stuff on here.

Just as a note. This tracking is not just limited to internet. Anytime you use plastic, almost all large retailers track your purchasing habits and use the information to push advertising toward you whether it feels more direct such as when you are browsing on a pc or less direct such as through coupons, mail etc.

Back