• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Smart" meter data collection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Parents recently found out that our electric company lets us see power usage collected from the smart meter. The web site shows as short as 15 minute intervals, but various FAQs suggest we could get real-time data with a HAN device (which the website also allows for registration of).

First, these HAN devices all seem to be "Zigbee" something-or-other. Is Zigbee just the patent-holder for the smart meter wireless stuff or what? Is any "Zigbee certified" device likely to be usable?

Second, I am finding very few details on the data provided by these devices. Assuming they're mostly interoperable, can somebody point me to a device (preferably with USB connectivity, for both power and data) with some built-in storage buffer that will simply collect power usage information over time, which can then be downloaded to a computer? I'd like to write my own application for viewing and manipulating the data, but I need a device that can get me the raw data, first.

Zigbee is a radio manufacturer, previously I've only seem them connected to microcontrollers and used for radio comms for said controllers.

I suspect you're in for a Build Your Own type operation right now.
This looks like a decent place to start: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=89780.0

Getting a Zigbee and interfacing to your computer via an Arduino is easy. Communicating with the meter might not be, I don't know.
My meter is still the stupid sort, if/when it goes smart I'll definitely be looking into this.

That thread doesn't seem applicable. They're talking about "dumb" meters with rotating dials, there. Was hoping for some kind of pre-made device, since it's likely to be rather more efficient than anything I build myself (though none of the pre-made things I've found mention support for just dumping the raw data). Don't want to waste a bunch of power reading the power, after all :)

I must have copy / pasted the wrong one, whoops. Mobile now, I'll look into it again when I get home.

It sounds like there is a router that has a zigbee HAN card built in, foundthat in Google. I think there is almost certainly more to be found on the arduino forum as well, but their search is hard to use.
Jeelabs.org has some smart meter stuff, but it's a physical plug on their meters.

Zigbee is a low power radio system/protocol. It is vaguely analogous to 802.11(a/b/g/n/ac). It is generally used when low power is important. Due to its spread spectrum nature, it is generally resistant to interference. It can also feature encryption. If you want to learn more, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigbee is a great reference.

I happen to have a smart meter. I know some folks are paranoid that they will be irradiated with radiation from it and die, but they seem unconcerned about cell phones and wireless internet, both of which use much more power...

Back