• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoke from my PC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

So I've been having some trouble with my PC. At first it was in a boot loop. The loop would last anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes (this has been going on for some time but I didn't do anything about it cause it wasn't that severe). Last Monday it didn't turn on at all anymore so I did some trouble shooting. Did CMOS reset and removed all the overclocking, reseated all the components and tried some other things. In the end I was 90% sure it was a motherboard issue based on my own research (which I admit isn't thorough) so I bought another motherboard. Today I installed it and turned the PC on. All of a sudden smoke came from the SSD and I turned it off. Both the SATA and the power cable to my SSD have some burn marks either at the point where you plug it in or on the cable itself. Here is a photo of my SSD, do you think I can still save the data that's on it?

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-26 at 16.10.40.jpeg

I don't really know what to do further... It's probably the PSU..

Well, I wouldn't count on getting any data back but it doesn't sound like you are counting on it.

With that said: if you think the psu is at fault, test it with a multimeter AT THE LEAST, but it should probably be replaced. There is a link in the power supply section stickies to test your psu.

I might try to put the SSD into an external adapter just to see if it is readable. I can't quite tell which pin is burnt but if it is one of the ground pins you might be able to get it to work long enough to pull some of your data off. It's worth a shot as long as your data is important and you aren't risking good/working components just to test. Here is a pic of the sata pinouts :

sata.png

to my eyes it looks like you have the burn on the #12 pin, but I could be wrong

Looks like a +12v pin grounded out with a -12v pin next to it. Several things could have caused that. Basically, something electrically conducting would have to had to short across the pins.

Thank you for your replies. They are trying to recover its data now.

I certainly would inspect the SATA connector coming from the PSU that was used on that fried drive. Maybe tape it off and not use it anymore.

Some kind of Data Recovery Center. You pay like a 100 bucks and they see if they can retrieve any files from it and put it on another storage item.

I hope "they" refund if they can't recuperate the data. $100 bones to "see if they can" is kinda steep for a "maybe".

I certainly would inspect the SATA connector coming from the PSU that was used on that fried drive. Maybe tape it off and not use it anymore.

Yeah, I will definitely not be using that one again. In any case, thank you all for your replies. They have been helpful :)

Last edited:
Back