• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothwall MAC Address Clone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

Is there such a thing as cloning a MAC addy on smoothwall?

I have cable internet and it wont let me get a DHCP address due to having a different MAC Addy. I am trying to switch from a Linksys router to this smoothwall and its not working. HELP!!!

It's easy to do from a console. They don't have a gui option for it?

Smokeys said:
Why not just phone up your isp, say that you've changed network cards and need the old mac address removed/unregistered?

I could do that, but I wish I could just clone the MAC address. If it comes down to it, I might just have to do it this way.

XWRed1 said:
It's easy to do from a console.

How do I do it? I'm not too good at Linux stuff.

Smoothwall doesn't have a GUI option for cloning MAC addresses, would be useful if it did :-S Go to www.smoothwall.org and then the search the forums, there's probably a topic in there to help :)

Assuming eth0 is the nic you want to change:

Code:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether <new mac>

OK, I tried that, and it shows that the MAC address is changed, but I still cant pick up the right DHCP address. I guess I will just have to call up my ISP and have them reset it.

Another possible option,,,,if the registered nic is a pci card, remove it from the current pc and install in the smoothy. If it is a diff chipset, you may need to re-install smoothwall, but that's a 20min deal. Just a thought. And when you say the 'right' dhcp address, what address do you get? Keep in mind that you need to hook the smoothy up to the cable modem and not the Linksys, and that the Linksys should have dhcp turned off.

Well the NIC with the address is actually the USB connection on the Linksys Modem. Smoothwall doesnt recognise the USB part of the modem, and I dont have the Linux drivers for it. As for the DHCP address, I keep getting a 10.x.x.x address, which is a private IP. I should be getting a 12.x.x.x address. I have completely removed the Linksys router from the equasion, so that isnt a problem.

Here is how the whole thing was set up. First I had the Linksys Modem connected via USB to a computer running ICS. I then switched to a Linksys Router and just cloned the same MAC address that the USB interface had. Now I want the smoothwall (Linksys routers suck for VPN passthrough), but cant get the right DHCP address. Does anyone know how to renew the IP address without resetting the eth1 interface? If I could renew the IP with the cloned MAC address, I think it might work. But if I "down" the port then bring it back up, it resets to the original MAC address. Any Ideas?

Back