• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMSC H/M block overheating badly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marcoangels

Hi, I'm running Speedfan on my HPa1250n PC and for a long time now(over a year), the heat sensor on the SMSC H/M block, referred to as 'remote 2', is registering at about 121 degrees C, while the temp on remote 1 is only 35 degrees C. The high temp fluctuates a bit which leads me to believe it's not a disconnected probe. The ambient temp fluctuates as I speed up or slow down fans, but it is generally under 40 degrees C. I'm thinking the high temp on 'remote2' is affecting my graphics card,as I'm currently running a GeForce 8600GT and it is idling at 55 degrees C and climbs rapidly to 80 degrees under a load. When the 8600 was in another PC, it didn't idle at that high of a temp. Anybody have any ideas on what may be happening I have plenty of case fans blowing, sounds like a windtunnel. Thanks

Does remote2 change temp when you speed up or slow down the fans?
I've had nonexistent sensors that changed a degree or two randomly.

I'd check the 8600's heatsink for dust/hair/etc.

The temp on remote 2 does fluctuate a degree or 2 when I change fan speeds, oddly it decreases in temp when I slow down my CPU fan. Seems weird that the temp fluctuates if it's not hooked up to a probe.

Since it's an OEM board it's tough to know for sure but very few AMD boards have more than two sensors, one for the CPU socket (not the same as the core temp from the CPU) and one for the NB chipset or MOSFETs, depending on the manufacturer. If either of those two sensors were above 100°C I'm sure the system would shut down. I have to agree with Bobnova here, it's probably a false reading from a non-existent sensor ...

Back