• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Snap, crackle & pop audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I dunno how else I can describe it, but that's what I've been getting since yesterday. I've been using a Creative SBz card for a while replacing the Xfi during the 7700k. Anyways I started getting some static with the audio output. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, moving the card into a different slot, changing sample ratings, and I could not get the static to clear out.

Next I tried was (ugh) onboard sound. Sadly I was rewarded with the same results. Now I'm really dumb founded. SBz card and onboard both have static output.

Decided to try one more thing: Dig out the old XFi card and drop that in and see. Whadayaknow, it works perfectly with zero static. I don't get it :confused:

So anyone here experience this? Both sound card & Onboard with the static issue?

Have you moved any wiring around before this happened? Are your speakers new to you? If so are the speakers amplified?

Also, have you tried changing your audio format/tried disabling your enhancements?

There are a lot of things that can make your computer's sound wonky.

Haven't moved anything. My rig is on a dolly I made with rubber covered wheels since day one. Speakers are powered, several years old, but in perfect working order. Tested with another rig and laptop. Sound fine.

Audio format changed, rechanged. No enhancements. I swapped every conceivable setting and restored all defaults. Static remained. It only disappeared and cleared up once I put the XFi in.

Maybe a driver conflict with the card and onboard audio. I would start with uninstalling/disabling the onboard sound.

Those are the first things I did.

1) Remove all Creative drivers/software
2) Reboot, manually check drive for leftovers-removed
3) Reboot, scan drive, remove stragglers
4) Remove SBz sound card

5)Enable onboard sound in bios, reboot
6) Install drivers from disk, reboot (yeah I know, but when you install the latest drivers from MB site, the Audio control panel is missing)
7) Install latest drivers, reboot

Test sound via YT, VLC, Media player. Any sound playing will play static with it. Especially on the high notes: IE Singing, cymbals, etc

Checked and rechecked all cables and connectors. Everything checks out.
Tested speakers with my son's laptop. Sounds perfect.
Tested speakers with my back-up rig's (ASRock EX6/7700K) onboard audio. Sound is perfect.

Only thing I didn't check was the SBz card in the back-up rig. While it was in service, the SBz card played perfect right up until I upgraded.
Installed in the Ryzen build and it was sounding perfect right up until a few days ago. House was not struck by lightning. No power surges, but I do have surge protectors through out the place.

Can't figure why or how the sound is staticky. I also did a sfc/scannow to see if any files are corrupted causing the issue: Nada

Does it only happen when adjusting physical knobs or touching nothing and just hearing static?

Curious if you tried onboard audio as it's plenty sufficient for most users.

Nope. Soon's I start playing a tune or YT video, the output sound is accompanied with static. I don't touch any knobs. Static is present all the time.

Yes, I tried onboard, same results.

Nope. No changes. Desk is in the same place since I moved here. Once a month I'll unplug everything, move desk and clean under desk, corner, clean the monitor, keyboard, mouse, things like that. I use a small air pump (the ones used to fill an air mattress) modded to blow dust out of the pc case, rad, etc.

Nothing else.

How about a pesky windows update in that time?

Though static/popping, my gut tells me, is hardware. I get that when I turn the knob on my speakers, but otherwise nothing.

See what DPC Latency checker (LatencyMon) has to say with the popping card(s) and the working one.

It always happened for me with the SoundBlaster ZXR connected to the Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP motherboard, no matter what I did! (Every single sound played had cracking, FFS!) Only the onboard audio hardware works properly!

How about a pesky windows update in that time?

Though static/popping, my gut tells me, is hardware. I get that when I turn the knob on my speakers, but otherwise nothing.

See what DPC Latency checker (LatencyMon) has to say with the popping card(s) and the working one.

Hmm, well there wasn't any updates during that exact time the static started. I'll check with LatencyMon, thx.

It always happened for me with the SoundBlaster ZXR connected to the Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP motherboard, no matter what I did! (Every single sound played had cracking, FFS!) Only the onboard audio hardware works properly!

This is exactly what's happening. Sad part is it happens with the onboard too :-/

*Update*

Tried using the SBz card one more time to see, and sure enough was rewarded with the dam static sound again. No matter what I did, sound was mixed with the 2 brothers and their dad: Snap, Crackle and Pop :mad:

Put the XFi card back in, and everything is back to normal. I really don't get it. I'd figure the SBz card was borked, but it happens with the onboard sound too. With the XFi card it's all crystal clear and perfect.

In all my years I have never had this craziness happen. Anybody else wanna give it a go? If not, I'll just leave the XFi card in and call it a day, screw it. I'm not gonna let this stupid thing drive me crazy....well I already am just being here, but you know what I mean :blah:

lol

Back