• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SO CLOSE! Stability issues on FX8320 at 4.6Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fueloficarus

Registered
Hey there, does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be able to reach 4.6ghz on an FX 8320? My rigs in my signature, and I've seen plenty of posts from other people reaching it with a single 140 radiator i80. Could it be my motherboard being a 970? Or RAM (considering trading or selling my PNY stick and keeping my HyperX)? Or should I be modifying the BUS frequency instead of the multiplier? I was pushing 1.456 CPU voltage, and could open Windows, but would crash right quick. I made it into prime95, but didn't even get to see the test start. I tried it with one stick of RAM (even though I have different brands the latency and timing are the same) to no avail.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz (OCd to 4.2) | Corsair H100i V2
Water Cooler | GPU: MSI Radeon RX480 8GB | PSU: Corsair 750W Modular | Mobo: ASUS 970
Aura | 16GB DDR3RAM | WD Blue 1TB HD, SSD, Sandisk 240GB SSD

Last edited:
As I posted in your other thread; mixing ram is not advised unless they have the same exact timings/sub timings and voltages.

What are the timings for:

PNY

HyperX

?

As I posted in your other thread; mixing ram is not advised unless they have the same exact timings/sub timings and voltages.

PNY

HyperX

?

About to run memtest to confirm. Each are different. I can manually set the timings to help even that out, right?

More vcore. Your chips a ****ty clocker, and what are your load temps?

PNY

HyperX

?

Speccy Results:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 16384 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 802.7 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 39 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 18 %
Total Physical 16 GB
Available Physical 13 GB
Total Virtual 18 GB
Available Virtual 14 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Slot #2

- - - Updated - - -

More vcore. Your chips a ****ty clocker, and what are your load temps?

More voltage? Hmm...okay. Not much, just about 45 under load at 4.4Ghz.

And the mobo may be a limiting factor. As you go farther up the scale octo core FX chips get hungry. There aren't a lot of boards that can reliably run big OC on them.

Run 11-11-11-x @ 1.5v

And you're gonna need to do something about that shanker on your finger pretty soon. :D

Missed that the first time. I should have looked a little closer. My bad. I just came to this thread from the OP's thead asking about temps. Definitely some headroom there.

moar volts.jpg

Looks like Mr. Scott & Alaric got you covered. You're in good hands.

Thanks for the help! Have a nice evening, good sir.

- - - Updated - - -

HPC mode should be enabled.

Do you think that's contributing? I don't really understand what Disabling/Enabling High Powered Computing mode entails. Forgive my ignorance. When I last was doing any real overclocking we were building resistors to do it, and BIOS was about five options.

...I'm not that old, but I did it whilst very young. That sounds legit, eh?

Could be a factor. It's not gonna hurt.

HPC Mode (High Performance Computing) - HPC Mode is a setting in the BIOS that prevents the CPU from lowering and locking its clock rate under load in certain conditions. In some benchmarks, HPC Mode can increase performance by about 6%, but these performance improvements are only realized in benchmarks like HPL. Dell tested this setting for the AMD Interlagos Server based CPU'sand saw very little performance increase outside of HPL benchmarks. HPC Mode did however increase power consumption and power draw for very little benefit.

In a nutshell, HPC Mode prevents the CPU from locking and lowering its clock rate when the chip is either getting close to going over the TDP, or the motherboard CPU socket temp is getting to high. This is not always true in all cases though, because in certain situations, the CPU can still drop and lock its clock rate under load. This setting is more geared to very specific environments such as clustered computing where there are specific applications running that would benefit from this setting. Those situations are not your average home user.
I understand. I'm 'not that old' either.......even when I was soldering crystals to gain 15 MHz. :D

Oh ****! Brother's droppin' hot crystals! You just made my night, good sir. Concerning the RAM...HyperX Fury automatically overclocks to 1866...this might be my issue here. PNY has a 9-9-9-27 CAS timing right on the label. HyperX is programmable up to 11. Will setting it to 9 force both chipsets to that latency?

Last edited:
Ah, well...now after about 40 minutes of prime95 I have CPU throttling. But my temps are at about 48. This just keeps getting better and better.

Back