• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage variance from that manually set in BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fueloficarus

Registered
I have my overclock and system below, but I have my CPU and CPU/North Bridge LLC set to high. I have my voltage set to stock (1.404 is stock, and plenty for a 4.2 push, my CPU barely seems to notices it save this one thing). I'm running around 30-38C, with some temp variance "idling" having just background programs, MSI Gaming App (Stock Gaming OC), Open Hardware and CPU-Z on. The voltage readout can bounce between 1.416 to 1.428. No clock throttling even under load (Prime95). Is this normal? Is it the crappy power supply?

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz (OCd to 4.2 with Evo 212 Cooler) | GPU: MSI Radeon RX480 8GB | PSU: EVGA 600W | Mobo: ASUS 970 Aura | 16GB DDR3RAM | WDBlue 1TB, Samsung 120GB 750, Sandisk 240GB CPU Fans on VRM Heatsink and on back of socket

Which MB is it you have? Most likely the bounce is CPUz readout not being exact. It registers in increments and tries to give accurate readings, so if you had 1.420v and CPUz will only ever read 1.415 and 1.425 it will spend equal time displaying each voltage to give the average of 1.420v. I hope that makes sense.

I know with the CHV-z a "High" LLC setting will allow for a slight increase in voltage under load. An "Ultra" setting will keep voltage pretty stable under all conditions and "Extreme" will allow for a decrease of voltage under load.

I have the Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura. Middle of the road board, get's the job done and has a pretty good BIOS. American Megatrends current version...4.04 I think. I updated three weeks ago when I got the RX 480. I'm using Asus CPU-Z. I'm not detecting any performance issues, and I stay well below 55 at load (playing BF1 right now at High and pushing 47C).

So maybe I should up the LLC, even if I'm not pulling that much power? I'm sorry, the last time I was really doing anything more than a slight modifier OC was 2004. There are a few variables we used to not be able to control so well. I'm addicted all over again. Saving up for a water cooler and probably to make the switch to Intel...unless the Ryzen holds up and I don't need a dry ice reservoir.

The voltage is polled in time increments and depending on when the poll was taken it will be a little higher or lower at any point in time as the load on the CPU varies.

Yep, nothing to do about it and nothing needs to be done about it.

Alrighty then! I'd rather be sure. I had intended on beating on this processor, but I'm debating a switch to Intel and if so I'll need to save for much...much longer. That would basically mean getting an all new rig.

Which MB is it you have? Most likely the bounce is CPUz readout not being exact. It registers in increments and tries to give accurate readings, so if you had 1.420v and CPUz will only ever read 1.415 and 1.425 it will spend equal time displaying each voltage to give the average of 1.420v. I hope that makes sense.

I know with the CHV-z a "High" LLC setting will allow for a slight increase in voltage under load. An "Ultra" setting will keep voltage pretty stable under all conditions and "Extreme" will allow for a decrease of voltage under load.

IIRC, "Extreme" makes the Vcore slightly higher than the setting in the BIOS...

Hmm...could having it on but not accessing the extra headroom for voltage have any long term effects on my hardware? With my crappy PSU...

Back