• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so........dont forget the winchesters 5% IPC boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"There have been no significant changes to processor design between 130nm and 90nm. So expect AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm to perform the same as an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 130nm part,” an AMD spokesman told X-bit labs.

5% 90nm over 130nm gain info removed.
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Big thank you to OC Detective for a PM pointing out the source ultimately being from AMD itself.

C627627, I think 1-2% could be claimed. The only problem with that being it is within the limits of variance for these types of tests anyway.

In other words, AMD spokesman is incorrect? We've come to expect AMD's PR to be abysmal but why wouldn't he claim "up to 2%" system performance increase?

He had a lot of ways of wording it to make it appear that there is at least some system performance gain (and incidentally, help AMD sales), yet he didn't.

If you are correct, Intel's got no worries with guys like that on AMD's payroll... :(

Well I think it 'should' be claimed.

Since the time marketing begun, PR has traditionally used inventive words to describe products in a better light than they really are. AMD spokespersons don't appear to subscribe to that idea... I mean don't they want to move people to 90nm chips?

LOL he NEEDS a WINCHESTER to push a modded 9700, LMAO!.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, yeah really great thinking there.

DO you play any games, are you a benchmark geek, no offense but come on, a Newcastle at 2.5ghz is fast, that is if it's actually stable at that :rolleyes: and you want to get a new cpu/board memory for 5% increase.

So you'll need 2.4ghz at least then. Who says it will reach that, not all do.

A x800/6800 will give you a lot more of a boost than 5%, probably 205% :rolleyes:

I hope it goes wrong, so we can all laugh at your noobness. :clap:

hehe

"DO you play any games"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i can reference you to this, a famous OCC550 quote at another forum under a different handle.

"I dont care that much for gaming"

OCC550 is pure and simple a 3Dmark fanatic, nothing else. he was exposed at an online gaming site under a challenge for FPS some time back from the boys over at Sharkies, i will leave it at that.

baldy :attn:

Grov said:
LOL he NEEDS a WINCHESTER to push a modded 9700, LMAO!.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, yeah really great thinking there.

DO you play any games, are you a benchmark geek, no offense but come on, a Newcastle at 2.5ghz is fast, that is if it's actually stable at that :rolleyes: and you want to get a new cpu/board memory for 5% increase.

So you'll need 2.4ghz at least then. Who says it will reach that, not all do.

A x800/6800 will give you a lot more of a boost than 5%, probably 205% :rolleyes:

I hope it goes wrong, so we can all laugh at your noobness. :clap:

well quite frankly if thats all the advice your gonna give to him i think u shouldnt reply at all :rolleyes:

and as for "we" all can laugh at him it most likely would be just yourself laughing like a "noob"

He's a bit rude but has a good point.
A 2.5ghz A64 paired with a 9700 can be only discribed with one word: PATHETIC!
You might as well buy a x800 XT PE and place it in a P4 1.8ghz, that would be about as wise.
What is he doing with his PC? If he's folding or soemthing the whole thing is different of course but for gaming it's basically like you'd be driving in a small fiat on a HUGE straight line without speed limit!

To be fair, I'd probably laugh at him as well. I'm sick and tired of the nonsense he spouts - a classic bit being about a winchester being needed to push his new r9700. Do you play all your games at 640x480??? Just get a new video card, and save your self some money, as it is you have quite a nicely overclocked CPU, just get a good graphics card to match.

as already said about 100 times in other threads he doesnt play many games he just wants good 3dmark2001 score i know for a fact my t-bred at 2.46ghz bottlenecks my 9700pro unlike his A64 Newcastle but if i was to get A64 ( which i will do ) im hoping by the time ive decided what motherboard to get when a decent one comes out i can put in my 9700pro and see what kind of FPS i will be getting

To this day, there is in fact a performance increase to be had in moving from 130nm to 90nm. However, the increase is quite marginal and therefore, should be of no real concern. At stock speeds, the difference in games can be compared to that of perhaps two equal A64's with one being s754 and the other being s939. In other woods, this difference should be no more than 1-5% on average. However, I am almost certain that such a performance gap is either significantly or completely narrowed when you begin to overclock and tweak the A64 platform. Remember that the 64-bit core is quite advanced, so revisions such as cache, dual channel, and other quirks do not amount for the same sort of boosts one might see in an Athlon XP. Lastly, I do not think that the AMD spokesperson mentioned any performance differences because it is so negligible. Furthermore, the most important points of their move to 90nm are the a) colder temps b) reduced power consumption and c) cost savings (on both the consumer and producer). It is in my opion that such ammenities are more important to the average consumer/overclocker and AMD than 1,000 points on a benchmark.

@Grov: I don't think you are completely ignorant, but your post added nothing to this thread. Furthermore, I think it takes a lot of nerve to deliberately tell someone that you hope they are wrong for a cheap laugh. How funny would it be if the tables were turned on you? I'm sure there are a couple of people who snicker at the fact that you bought such an expensive s754/AGP system when 90nm s939 cpu's can provide overclocks higher than your own at a lesser cost and that NF4 is right around the way. The point is this: if you don't have anything intelligent to contribute to a thread, don't contribute. Period. If you don't agree with Oc550 then that's fine. But keep your smart comments to yourself.

deception``

Steven4563 said:
as already said about 100 times in other threads he doesnt play many games he just wants good 3dmark2001 score i know for a fact my t-bred at 2.46ghz bottlenecks my 9700pro unlike his A64 Newcastle but if i was to get A64 ( which i will do ) im hoping by the time ive decided what motherboard to get when a decent one comes out i can put in my 9700pro and see what kind of FPS i will be getting
If he doesn't play games he shouldn't mention that he needs his moster CPU to make full use of his awesome 9700. For 3dmark2001? WTF?
He pairs the best CPU on the market with an ancient card to get a good result on a even more ancient benchmark?!?
Sorry but by stating that it's no wonder that people start to ask questions.

deception`` said:
To this day, there is in fact a performance increase to be had in moving from 130nm to 90nm. However, the increase is quite marginal and therefore, should be of no real concern. At stock speeds, the difference in games can be compared to that of perhaps two equal A64's with one being s754 and the other being s939. In other woods, this difference should be no more than 1-5% on average. However, I am almost certain that such a performance gap is either significantly or completely narrowed when you begin to overclock and tweak the A64 platform. Remember that the 64-bit core is quite advanced, so revisions such as cache, dual channel, and other quirks do not amount for the same sort of boosts one might see in an Athlon XP. Lastly, I do not think that the AMD spokesperson mentioned any performance differences because it is so negligible. Furthermore, the most important points of their move to 90nm are the a) colder temps b) reduced power consumption and c) cost savings (on both the consumer and producer). It is in my opion that such ammenities are more important to the average consumer/overclocker and AMD than 1,000 points on a benchmark.

@Grov: I don't think you are completely ignorant, but your post added nothing to this thread. Furthermore, I think it takes a lot of nerve to deliberately tell someone that you hope they are wrong for a cheap laugh. How funny would it be if the tables were turned on you? I'm sure there are a couple of people who snicker at the fact that you bought such an expensive s754/AGP system when 90nm s939 cpu's can provide overclocks higher than your own at a lesser cost and that NF4 is right around the way. The point is this: if you don't have anything intelligent to contribute to a thread, don't contribute. Period. If you don't agree with Oc550 then that's fine. But keep your smart comments to yourself.

deception``

man deception i have recently seen some very well spoken posts out of you latley.... gj and tnks for contributing so well to our little community here.

9700pro's aren't THAT bad! c'mon people!
Yeah, obviously there are a lot of newer/better cards out now, but that doesn't mean it still can't be put up in a good system to play games and stuff. My 9600pro does amazingly well even with AA and AF and a 9700pro is way better than a 9600pro.
Let people upgrade however they see fit for their unique situation.

Optimus Prime said:
man deception i have recently seen some very well spoken posts out of you latley.... gj and tnks for contributing so well to our little community here.

Thanks. As opinionated as I am, it would truly be a shame if I was unable to express my thoughts in an effective manner. Furthermore, I feel it an obligation to share my plethora of knowledge with those who may or may not be less informed. Hell, even I learn a thing or two. In general, this is a great community provided we keep adverse posts at bay.

deception``

Going off from deception heck im on S754 and laughin about the fact that Grov spent, about $320 more then i did and his oc is only 58mhz more then me...

I would have gone to S939 but i did S754 cuss 4 months ago S939 was expensive. Now i think its not a good choiice to go Winchester because i hear the new Venice cpu's will be a Winchester with a updated revision and SSE3. I really feal sorry for people who rushed the bandwagon and got a Winchester right when they came out cuss like 1 month later a newer revision with SSE3 is comming.

Back