• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I toasted my graphics card.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I spent all afternoon replacing the coils and caps.....

and.....

It works.....

exactly the same as it did before it went into the oven.....

:cry: :bang head :cry: :bang head

Scores at halftime: BGA RAM 1 - RoadWarrior 0

Guess the chips didn't pull straight on the balls, I'm wondering if I had had some liquid rosin or flux whether if I had shot that underneath it would have made a difference. I might have a go now at dealing with each chip individually. Thinking at the moment of using a small block of aluminum with a meat thermometer stuck in it, balanced on one chip, and heating it slowly and carefully with a blowtorch......

Road Warrior

lol that thread was a good, funny read. sorry you couldnt fix anything. May not even be worth your time since the replacement cost is so low for those old hardware

haha this is funny

hope the card works after you're done, that would be quite impressive... fixing a graphics card by cooking it like a turkey.... mmmmm turkey

At the assembly house I work at, we only bake our boards for a few minutes in long coveyorized IR ovens. It is a controlled ramp up and down temperature process that's setup for each particular assembled board part. Next time, unsolder all those burnt parts before you bake the board. Those are 2nd ops process that are hand soldered in after the initial SMD manufacturing process. That includes those electrlytic caps too.

ROFL

Thats hilarious. I remember someone "accidentally" baking their Powerbook (how the heck you accidentally bake a laptop is beyond me... but they did...) & everything except most of the LCD worked after its trip through the oven.

sean478 said:
still cant believe that u did that

u should have bought a ti 4600 and rmaed back the broken one :D then u would have 2 of em eh?....

It's a mystery why one of the other mods set you to No Classifieds, had they not done it, I would have.

Back