• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i want a new processor..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tPoD

But i dont know what processors will fit my motherboard
All i know is have a AM2 socket 940 and now i have a AMD Athlon X2 64 5000+ CPU.
So i have a premade-computer and this is the mobo info on the computers manufacturers website

So i can only find AM3/AM2+ processors but i dont know will they fit in my computer. Processors like AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz

It all depends if the BIOS update allows it.

If the BIOS update enables AM3 then it'll support AM3 chips. Google your motherboard name + bios update to download the latest update.

The same is true with the AM2+. It will only work IF your BIOS will allow it.
Because it's pre-built and from HP I'm sceptical that it will work but it's worth a shot :)

I can look into it if you want but if you try and find it yourself then you'll know in the future what to look for :)

Good luck and :welcome:!

There was one update that didnt say anything about AM3/AM2+ and the update didnt even install cause it said i didnt meet the requirements. But i doubt that it would have been useful anyways.

So i was thinking of OCing but it seems that my BIOS dont have the proper setting to it, so i guess that leaves me with only the chance of getting a new mobo but that would start to cost too much money for me.

Contact the support of your board... If its allow AM3 (BIOS UPDATE), get a 955... And OC it.

Sounds like it's a new mobo for you my friend!

Even with a BIOS update I'm pretty sure a Dell or an HP motherboard won't support overclocking.

Welcome to the world of building your own computer :D (assuming you haven't done so already).

oh wow i doubt its any sort of core deactvated chip seeing how the manufacturer web site states that its an AM2 board and not AM2+ or above. what were some regular AM2 cores then? i know windsor was one, cant remember others

HP states that the mobo maker is ECS but ECS's web site doesent have it listed so its probably something ECS made for HP and is having them support it.

and its an HP dude, and its getting to be pretty old and running out of time to upgrade, i say try and find a 5800+ or bulid another computer thats able to over clock.

prebulids are rarely able to overclock in the usual manner and there for yeilds arent worth it.

Ill just put it like this: buying a pre-built PC is good for the grandmother who checks email and surfs the web alittle, just for the easy factor. Besides that, it is almost always a good idea to build your own considering you choose what components go in and can craft it to your needs whether it be gaming, HTPC, or multi-media super beast.

:welcome: to OCF!

But i dont know what processors will fit my motherboard
All i know is have a AM2 socket 940 and now i have a AMD Athlon X2 64 5000+ CPU.
So i have a premade-computer and this is the mobo info on the computers manufacturers website

So i can only find AM3/AM2+ processors but i dont know will they fit in my computer. Processors like AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid the others are correct. Any AM2 board requires the correct BIOS update to handle even an AM2+ CPU - and I doubt HP (Dell or anybody else like that) provides it. I understand the money issue (believe me!) but at best you'll only get a 6-7% increase over what you have now - unless you get a new board to go with a new CPU. If you don't have enough to do that I suggest saving your money instead of trying to slightly upgrade your existing system ...

im goin with quietice on this one. you will see a very small increase in performance and your best bet is to save what cash you have and start fresh. i had an old foxconn motherboard from HP and i couldnt for the life of me find a BIOS update to support a newer Q9500.
believe me money is the toughest part of all this, its taken me over a year to get almost every part i need (just waiting on cooler-this week, and graphics card-later this month) you will see a huge pay off if you invest in a new system with newer parts that will last you a bit longer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid the others are correct. Any AM2 board requires the correct BIOS update to handle even an AM2+ CPU

Not only that... but in order for an AM2 board to support an AM2+ or AM3 (with a BIOS update of course)... it has to have the split power planes... which many early AM2 boards dont have.

??? I would wonder why AMD included single-plane specs in their Power and Thermal Data sheets for the K10 if this were true. The 920 and 940BE have these specs for sure, I don't know about the others. See page 47 of AMD technical document #43375 for more information.

I'm not saying there aren't other limitations, there may very well be, but the power planes isn't one of them as far as I know ...

Back