• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I want more out of my fx4100, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxlegends

Registered
for the meantime, I want more fps on cpu based games, I only changed the multiplier on my cpu to 23x to get it running at 4.6 ghz

I came across a thread that said if changed the nb link to 2400 (from 2000) I will get better frames on cpu straining games. I did and no such luck

running 1866 vengence
990fx asus mobo latest bios
fx4100 oc'd to 4.6 stock cooler
7970 ghz

with a vid card like that youd understand why I wanna get the max potential out of my cpu before I go intel/ piledriver

If you've overclocked the 4100 to 4.6 on the stock cooler you aren't likely to get any more out of it. Have you done a stress test at that speed with Prime95 to see if its stable and to see what the core and CPU socket temps are like? I would be surprised if it's truly stable at that overclock level with a stock cooler. My guess is your vcore would need to be too low to keep temps down to safe levels and have it truly stable under prolonged full load, like 2 hours of Prime95 blend.

this chip is garbage, gonna go for a 1090t or a 960t if i can find one.

I disagree. You can't find a better chip for the same price.

If it bugs you that much, you'd be better of waiting for PD to be released and just buying one of those.

If you've overclocked the 4100 to 4.6 on the stock cooler you aren't likely to get any more out of it....

Not much info on what OP's done. I'd also wonder if APM, C1e and C6 are really disabled. If not, the chip is probably clocking back under load, so he's not really running at 4.6g when he needs it most. I kinda find it hard to believe a 4100 would run on stock cooler at 4.6.

I know this all from my own experience when i thought I was before I learned about those greenies and found it desparately needed a better cooler.

Last edited:
Not much info on what OP's done. I'd also wonder if APM, C1e and C6 are really disabled. If not, the chip is probably clocking back under load, so he's not really running at 4.6g when he needs it most. I kinda find it hard to believe a 4100 would run on stock cooler at 4.6.

I know this all from my own experience when i thought I was before I learned about those greenies and found it desparately needed a better cooler.

Oh yeah, I remember someone else complaining that their 8 series was being throttled due to APM, even with all other green stuff turned off. You are probably right.

APM is the most PITA part of overclocking current Gen FX chips. Every bios is calling it something slightly different, not all have the ability to disable it, etc.

@op Your mobo should permit for disabling APM if you have not already done so.

I think OP is long gone. He got no love here. Save your fingers.

No he's here (its only been 3 days trents!). However, he is now selling this PC as he spammed his EBAY link across four threads early this morning.

Back