• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So what's up with the Horses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, there seems to be alot of confusion.. Maybe i can explain it better than epix.

Back in the good old days, we went around to the computer labs on campus, and manually loaded setidriver on every PC. When the lab consultants (i'm one of them. hehe) decide that a PC is acting up or is too full of non-supported programs (aim, yahoo, etc), he/she will Image the computer to the original state. When the computers got imaged, we lost alot of partially done WUs, which was a big pain.

We then decided to use a server on the network to store all of the seti clc and driver files. We login to that computer over the network, and start it up. All of the files reside on the server, but the actual processes are taking place on the computer lab machines. Again, this is so we won't lose WU's when the computer got imaged.

Then the bandwidth problems hit.

We decied to run setiqueue so we can have a buffer between us and Berkeley. This would also run on the same machine where all of the CLC files were residing. But in addition to the bandwidth problem, the lab staff was closing seti, because of the icon in the system tray. We experimented a bit and found a program called rundhide, which "hides" the clc client. It shows up in processes as "System Resources" and we renamed the clc client to "rundll.exe" so that people wouldn't be the wiser if they saw it running.

All in all, this setup worked, until we decided to hit hard. The server is a pentium 120 with 32 mb ram. From running setiqueue AND having all of the clients connect to this server, it performed well. We tried to upgrade the ram recently, but it wasn't working too well with the ram. We're going to try a fresh install here in a bit, but we'll see.

I hope that helps everyone understand what's going on.

update: As for the actual bandwith usage, it's neglegible. We have a gigabit backbone with a 10 mbps connection for the server. it works fine in that respect.

that's exactly what i'm doing right now.

but wow! didn't think of ur serve was a P120 w/ ONLY 32MB ram!! now, i'm sure u guys r really trying to beat it to death then....:D

anyway, my way.... i manually just install CLC client & a program call SETIHide into each machine. no driver, no spy, etc. the SETIHide (i believe that's the same program u r using too) will hide the client pretty much completely.

and point all machines to my own SETIQueue server. also, paste a shortcut into the startup folder in case the machines got turn off at night.

seems to work fine for me as far. just started from yesterday..... we'll help to wait and see....

good luck on ur side!

Thanks Nate! In addition we run Seti Spy to tell us which machines are down, so when we do weekend rounds and what not we know which computers to hit.

hey guys... if you haven't already planned an upgrade for that server I've got a lot of parts laying around.... memory, mobos, CPUs, etc...

Nothing earth-shaking, but enough to REALLY upgrade what you have now...

email or PM me, if interested... I might not see a post here...

To give you a guys on our Plans for upgrading:

We're wanting to go dual Pentium 200s, and thinking about 128 mb ram (or more if we get more!). Right now we're looking for a mobo that will fit our case, or a mobo/case combo. (our case is AT style, and sports a nice riser card) We also have two p200 processors heading our way, thanks to chawken, and some more ram, again thanks to chawken.

Hmm. I'm going to have to get an avatar some time, eh?

What does a dual buy you that a faster single wouldn't? I've got a quad Pentium 133 server at work, but I can't find anything that will run faster on it than on our standard Dell desktops. Same goes for dual PII 333 servers.

I can understand the desire to handle heavy IO, but if your current situation is dual P 200's, how insufficient is the IO? Are you running hardware RAID? What type of striping do you plan to use?

um.. We're going duallies because:

a) it's cool
b) bragging rights
c) we know it can handle it better than a p120
d) just cause.

There's no real reason. It's basically that we're going to have two p200's anyway, so might as well go for it. Something to do, i guess. :D

Bragging to whom? Dual P 200's don't impress me. Even dual /quad Pentium Pro 200's and dual PII's are old news. The current single CPU's are much more powerful than the old duals. You will probably also be confronted by low bus speeds in supporting the old CPU's. You can add a SCSI or IDE RAID card, but will the PCI bus be up to the task?

I'd be shooting for the KISS principle here. There's a surplus computer store down the street selling PIII 450 PC's for $200. Do we need to take up a collection?

Are you at least limping along with some of the systems since you can't support them all? I've been getting higher WU production with only 9 systems, one of which is my PII 233@266 SETIQueue server that also turns out 1 WU every 21 hours or so. I have 2 dual PIII 600 servers that can't turn out WU's faster than my Dell laptop. WU's are the real bragging rights, not a dualie config.

Come on. Kick my butt. I'm beggin' ya'! DO IT FOR THE TEAM!!!:burn:

Last edited:
Greg M said:
Bragging to whom?

Bragging to people that don't have dualies. i dunno. Duallies are just cool like that. lol..

Another problem is that we don't have THAT much money to blow. I'm working on getting an XP1800 system (come on, tax returns!), and just the general cost of college. :(

So we take what we can get. And dual p200s is better than a single p120.

Trust me, if i had the 200 dollars to buy a cheap system, i would. But i'm spending that 200 on DDR, xp1800, and a nice hsf.

Back