• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So you think you're a computer gamer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

You're not a computer gamer until you've played the original DOOM running on DOS w/mono sound effects created on a PC speaker (soundcards were a real and much forgotten innovation in PC gaming):

Last edited:
@Woomack
I never knew IBM published any video games. Big Blue was all about mainframes back then (and PC's were REALLY a sideline to their mainframe biz.) so I'm surprised they would bother.
In today's world it could very well be mainframes and servers are IBM's bread and butter, because they don't sell PCs of any type anymore.
Post magically merged:

The PC speaker wasn't capable of mixing sounds, so if you'll notice in the video when the guy picks something up and fires his shotgun there is no shotgun sound. I did some 8086/8088 assembly coding to generate speaker sounds and it was a royal *****.

My father bought one of the PCs from he's company when he left (dirt cheap), so I played the original doom on a monochrome monitor, with an HDD so small that I had to doublespace it so the game would fit with DOS, so slow that I actually had to reduce the resolution to around half the screen size to be playable and with no speakers, that is, I played with the case beeper thingie... BUT IT WORKED :rofl:

Back