• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 478 G1 Pressie stepping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
I was looking on eBay and ran across a "Buy It Now" auction and the person has 29-3.0 Pressie processors available, with both the expected SL7PM stepping and it also has the SL8JZ stepping listed too, which is a stepping I haven't seen before. So I went to Intel's site and looked up the S-Specs for P4 procs and sure enough, they are showing that stepping listed on a 478 pin package and a stepping code of G1. It is also shown as having an Intel processor number of 530 listed, which I've never seen before on a socket 478 P4 proc. Has anyone had any experience with a G1 stepping proc on a socket 478 package before?

If these overclock well, I might try to see if this person (or company) if they will sell me that particular stepping to try it out on my IC7-G machine and see how it does. He's a little expensive at $119 and $13 shipping to my house, but it might be worth it if these are a new stepping for socket 478. Intel also has some G1 steppings listed for socket 478 at 3.2 and 3.4 GHz.

Intel P4 S-Specs.
S-Spec for SL8JZ

What about it, all you Intel experts, is this a new stepping for socket 478?

sounds like a new one, first time i have heard of it. As far as ocing it might be hard on sk478 as even with presshot ready mobos. The sk478 mobos run alot hotter then lga mobo's. IMO i wouldnt risk it as the 65nm single core and dual core oc much higher then that one would 90nm.
if you got the money to spare try it out and lets us know.

I was under the impression that they weren't even producing them anymore, which makes me really doubt the existance of a new stepping. Why would they be working on new 478 steppings this late in the game?

**coming from a guy with 2 478 rigs, which he dearly loves**

Thanks for that info, Shelnutt2. If this guy on eBay replies that he can garrantee the new stepping, I'm going to buy one and see what it does. :thup:

Evilsizer, the reason I will go with this in my IC7-G instead of buying a newer system is economics. I have already sinked all the mosfets on my mobo and I already have several different high end air cooling solutions that will work with the board and I think my M0 2.4 is slowly starting to lose it's overclocked stability. And since this system is now a folding only rig, any upgrade needs to be with cost in mind and to build a new system with mobo, proc, ram and vid card would be much more expensive. Plus, I do have Conroe plans for later in the year anyways. :D

EDIT: Looking through the pdf you linked to, it looks like this new stepping is a new, environmentally-friendly design. Here's a quote from the pdf:

pdf said:
• The CPU ID will change from 0xF41h to 0xF49h
• Updated BIOS is required
• Desktop G-1 Step processors will be marked Pb-Free Second Level Interconnect on the integrated heat
spreader (IHS) per JESD97 guidelines with e4 designation
• G-1 is pin compatible with E-0. The thermal/mechanical specification is within overall package height
specification
• Intel anticipates no impact to current platforms designed to Intel guidelines

Back