• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

You can call me cheap but I'm trying to setup my home network so all my computers can use my newly installed DSL line. I'm using SBC Yahoo DSL and it only allows one computer to connect. At that point I knew I needed a router but choose not to get one at the moment. How hard would it be software wise to get other computers going software wise without some new hardware? How hard would it be to undo all of it once I get a router? Your input is greatly appreciated thanks. :)

You could use a program like Wingate or some other proxy program that will let your main computer share the connection. Or you could try a Linux distro and load a routing daemon.

If your using WinXP can't you just use Windows Connection Sharing, i mean its not the best solution but its works, thats what i use to route my modem:)(56k) connection

Kaso said:
If your using WinXP can't you just use Windows Connection Sharing, i mean its not the best solution but its works, thats what i use to route my modem:)(56k) connection

Any version of Windows 98 and up has it built in.

Is it really worth the effort for you to set up a software router? Looking at New Egg, you can get a sime 4 port router for under $30. At that point I'd feel it would cost less (in time and $) to just get one of those and use it.

I use my computer as a router right now. As mentioned above, you only need a second NIC. 1 to connect to the DSL modem and the second to connect to your network. The routing machine will have to have an IP of 192.168.0.1 but that's it.

With a router, which usually come in multiport variaties, you can share data and assets between all of your computers. You can share printers and other peripherals between all of your computers. Routers also give you a low level of firewall protection too. Some even have strong hardware firewalls. Take my advice, buy a router.

i don't see any problem with using ICS to share your internet connection. i would always find a hardware router or far better a netbsd box setup as dedicated router preferable, though. as far as proxying goes, its really not a good solution for most of our internet needs. i happen to use squid for http and ftp proxy, but my network has NAT routing for anything else i might need.

and analog-x is an easy, albeit poor solution for proxying. it will kill your ability to resolve addresses on the host computer after about a month.

I decided to get a router. For the meantime I'm probably going to use the dual networkcard solution. Thanks for your input. :)

Back