• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED-Huge Fan Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I think I royally screwed up, not sure. Pc turns on, lights, etc., but monitor nor keyboard react whatsoever.

I had the CM aoi water cooler in sig installed using one only fan it came with to pull. My board has no more pinouts at all, cept for the std 5V hd cable ends and the second fan has a 4pin plug (for the board), and I had no adapter so I left it off.
Stupidly I decided to attach the second fan for a proper push pull rad config (front intake mounted). I tried saving the cm fan 4pin connector and simply sticking bair wires in (from a hd power adapter), then wrapping it all in elec tape. When I first turned it on connected, I think it shorted something as nothing happened at all. I removed it, hit the power button, and now neither the monitor nor the keyboard are recognized though initially both fans and the pump were working.

Will a cmos reset work??? Or am I looking at buying a new board?? Any knowledgable help much appreciated. Damn I feel really stupid.

UPDATE
3-4 months later turns out I blew the cpu and possibly wrecked a 2tb hd controller (all my videos-nbd). Bought a new ps-nope. Bought a new mobo and handed everything over to a pc guru who narrowed it down, finally, to the cpu. Over $600 later lesson learned. On a good note the pc guy organized all my wiring so at least the insides look great-lol. I bought an NZXT Grid+ V2 6 port fan controller. Software SUCKS!! but with a little tweaking does the job.

Last edited:
a couple of things, the motherboard must see a fan rpm on the cpu fan header, plug the pump into that header.
then try a cmos reset without any jurry rig.

That is how it is installed. I keep both my two fan settings at high in bios and my rig is so quiet you don't know it's on. I will try a cmos reset, god knows I'm good with that lol. Thank you caddi I was hoping that might... be possible. I still can't comprehend how I 'didn't' think it would short.

I still can't comprehend how I 'didn't' think it would short.

Me either. Sounds like you might have killed one of the power supply rails. I usually remove the 24 pin from the mobo (all connections from power supply really) then I hook up one old hard drive to power from the power supply to keep it loaded and jumper the power supply to turn on when the power button on power supply is flipped to on and measure the rail voltages.

RGone...

EDIT:

How To Manually Test a Power Supply With a Multimeter

END EDIT.

Last edited:
Thanks rgone. I should have an old ps in the garage but I'll probably buy another and see what happens. If that doesn't work, it sounds like it should, I'll just get another mobo as well.
This probably wouldn't have happened had I not been in this darn wheelchair. Hopefully I will walk again soon. Thank you very much as I personally thought I fried some something on the board. Swapping a ps is easy compared to replacing the board.

Definitely the ps at the very least. The same connector port I shorted with now does not work with the rear fan (same connector) which did work right after the short. Unplugged til the new ps. Yeah! Almost wish it had a fuse but did not see mention of one in the manual.

Funny story. The first ps I bought was a pc power turbocool 450. $160 later I received a brand new no name in the box they shipped (~$30-40). Needless to say I was stunned a little. The second shipment was right. Go figure

I will use this opportunity to get a better ps, albeit only 450W-Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 450W. It has a digital controller and a 7yr warranty. Then next month I'll upgrade to an 850 evo msata and a couple 120mm noctuas. Regardless I just have to wait a bit and go through the bios bs some more.

Last edited:
Back