• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] Latest "Creator Update" makes changes to the Windows + X menu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Like a lot of other people, I typically right click on the Windows start button to produce a text menu listing many commonly used Windows functions.

I see where the latest Windows 10 update, dubbed "Creator" has deleted some ones I use all the time and added some I don't use often. Gone are Command Prompt and Command Prompt (Administrator) and Control Panel which I use all the time. Added has been Power Shell which I seldom use.

I find this frustrating. Why on earth did Microsoft do that? Whose opinion do they solicit before making these kind of changes or do they just make a unilateral decision and do it because they think it should be done?

Is there a way to customize that menu to put back things I use often? I would Google it but I don't know what to call it.

Last edited:
Thanks but it seems very limited. I just installed good ole Classic Shell.

for what it's worth, go to settings -> personalization -> taskbar and see if 'Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell' is checked. It's generally off by the default, but I enable it for myself as PS can do pretty much everything command prompt can and more.

Yeah, that worked but Control Panel is still missing.

Found this: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30 and it sort of works but buggy.

Actually, I have found two or three ways to accomplish this task but Classic Shell is so much more complete I don't care anymore to pursue the Windows + X reconstruction. I'm going to close this thread.

If you are not using http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

then:

Contents of Windows 10 Start Button right click menu are located inside the WinX folder.

In case Windows 10 Start Button right click menu malfunctions, default contents may be copied from one of the locations listed below, and this would fix the problem of the Start Button right click menu not displaying default contents.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

%WINDIR%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

%WINDIR%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

Thanks, C6. I found essentially the same information during my research but and did actually manage to change the contents of the WinX folder but I decided to go with Classic Shell anyway because it is so much more complete..

the windows key with a simultaneous x will bring up another similar menu

The problem is not bringing up that menu, the problem is that the contents disappear.
They are erased from one of the folders above and need to be copy-pasted back.

I have also had this happen to me on several occasions. Starting on day 2 or 3 after originally installing Windows 10. I also switched to Classic Shell Start Menu as a permanent solution.

But copy-pasting contents back resolves the issue every time.

I haven't used Classic Shell up to now on Windows 10 but I used to put it routinely on Windows 8/8.1 machines and I found that Microsoft major updates would sometimes bork it. I would have to reinstall Classic Shell but then it would work fine until the next major update.

Back