• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved]Update: USB problem during bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I started a thread on this back in April and it was never really resolved. I now have some more info about the problem and maybe someone has some ideas.

The problem is I lose USB functionality during the boot process. For instance, when the Ubuntu boot loader comes up I cannot change the OS selection from Windows 7 to Ubuntu. No keyboard function is available until into Windows login screen.

What I now know is that this is apparently related to overclocking. I discovered this tonight when I updated the bios to the the latest version which purported to "fix incompatibility problems with some USB devices". Of course, flashing the bios returned all frequencies and voltages to stock and at that point the keyboard was functional in the boot loader screen. As soon as I restored my overclock settings, however, the problem was back.

Any ideas? Hardware is as listed in the custom built desktop section of my Sig.

Last edited:
Solved. Downloaded the latest USB3 driver from Asus and the latest chipset drives as well. I noticed that the ATI CAtalyst installer added some kind of USB filter that I'm guessing loads before windows somehow and affects how the USB is handled during boot up.

Update: Not solved after all but then really solved! Turns out I spoke prematurely in post #1 as the problem reappeared. It was in reality an intermittent problem that had nothing to do with overclocking or a bug in the Asus bios. I started systematically unplugging and then replugging all my non-essential USB devices that the APC UPS USB connection was sometimes not releasing the USB bus upon reboot. Soon as I unplugged that device the keyboard was active during the boot process and I could once again reliably choose the boot OS.

Update: Not solved after all but then really solved! Turns out I spoke prematurely in post #1 as the problem reappeared. It was in reality an intermittent problem that had nothing to do with overclocking or a bug in the Asus bios. I started systematically unplugging and then replugging all my non-essential USB devices that the APC UPS USB connection was sometimes not releasing the USB bus upon reboot. Soon as I unplugged that device the keyboard was active during the boot process and I could once again reliably choose the boot OS.

Trents,

What are you going to do about APC UPS now? Is APC aware? You can't be the only user that expereinced this.

Well, there's now more to the story. As it turns out if I plug the USB cable from the UPS directly to a motherboard port the problem disappears. Before, it was plugged into a powered USB hub. Theoretically, it shouldn't be any different but some devices are sensitive, I guess to subtle changes in voltage.

Well, there's now more to the story. As it turns out if I plug the USB cable from the UPS directly to a motherboard port the problem disappears. Before, it was plugged into a powered USB hub. Theoretically, it shouldn't be any different but some devices are sensitive, I guess to subtle changes in voltage.

So it's probably not AMD or Intel board related, it's what you plug it in to. I ask because I use APC UPS's all the time and never had this type of issue.

I would have cursed solving that one pretty well Trents! :)

Yeah and like as not it would have worked fine on some hubs.

Back