• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(SOLVED)Win7x64 to msata install needs device driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

Have a new build (sig). Install gets to the part where it says please load device driver and I don't have the proper inf file. Had this problem before in a previous install using a sata drive and used a silicone image driver which worked fine. This ones a samsung 120gb 840 evo connected to an asrock amd bolton mobo. In asrocks website they do not specify device drivers for the optional msata install. Normally it's the wireless ac/bt4 module. Samsung is lame as f because they want you to have a special optional msata to usb cable, using their 'migration/clone' software and do it all within a single session. I was considering installing to a std sata drive (I have a spare 320gb which just happens to be my previous os disk) and then 'cloning' with acronis (PITA). All I need is the correct inf file for the install but have searched and searched and can't seem to locate a proper down link for what file I don't even know; si, amd, asrock, samsung ???
Has anybody encountered this problem and if so where is the file dammit? Any help appreciated. BTW the bios on this board is amazing and I'm getting access to a cat5 cable this eve so I can actually internet it through the bios which may help, even though all I need is the dern file.

Last edited:
I was able to initialize, activate, and format the disk using shift + f10 (youtube how to initialize disk). Didn't amount to squat. Plus I tried using a std sata drive and same bs. If there was ever a reason to despise install isos this is one very good one. Wtf they can't simply add drivers for normal installation disks? Yes a msata is quite normal now as is cf, usb3 flash, sdcard etc.
I will add sata drivers from an older xp install iso to my win7 ult iso which has added sata drivers and try them all if necessary. I have hirens too but that won't do much for the actual install. Just need a proper driver. What, noone uses msata disks? Saved me a regular slot. Next hd I buy will be a 6tb.

UPDATE: Working!! Used a win8.1 iso in ide mode via Rufus (ahci wasn't recognized) & installed to desktop. Rebooted in ahci mode. Retried my win7 iso and on the third attempt via the front panel usb2 port (it's a usb3 flash and all attempts were made via a 4port usb3 hub to a usb3 port on the back) it worked. All updates installed fine and no device errors. Not sure if it was the usb3 port or what but hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Back