• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**Some advice please**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do point a big *** fan into the side of the case and I have windows 98se on.

ok thanks, ive done that and put 512 in min and max... not noticed any changes yet, but will let everyone know if something does change...
What does that actually do by setting them both to 512?

OK first thiings first. Is this the way you put on the AS3? AS3 instructions.

I would install Motherboard Monitor read the read me to configure it correctly. Then tell us what the voltages say.

Next Are you absolutely sure the Heatsink is on facing the right direction? Here is a pic from a review with how the pads are supposed to be put on. http://www.monster-hardware.com/reviews/thermalrightslk800 2.htm
You also want to make sure that the ledge is on the same side as the ledge on the socket but not touching it. Also make sure the pads are not touching anything else too.

Good Luck:D

What are you running in the background ? My guess is that there's a lot of stuff starting with windows. Your computer is not "unstable", It is "choking".

having a min/max of 512 makes the swap file 512mb. Basically giving you 1 gig of RAM. Now you'll have the 512 of real ram you have, and the swap file being the overflow when the ram starts to fill up, allowing your ram to be free'd, instead of bogging down your system.

This is from MBM 5:

Core 0: 1.68v
Core 1: 1.68v
+3.3: 3.26v
+5.00: 4.97v
+12.00: 12.34v
-12.00: -12.89v
-5.00: -5.41v

have you taken it off, made sure there was a right ammount of thermal grease on there and reapplied it? I've also seen some screenshots where the heatsink needed to be lapped because it wasn't flat, and caused problems with heat as well.

You are banging your head against the wall. It is NOT a heat related issue. Your computer does not become "unstable" because the temperature increases. The temps go up because your computer is doing a lot of things, apparently with high priority.

Go download some taskmanager for win98 and see what's eating your cycles and resources when your computer slows down.

hdj said:
Your computer does not become "unstable" because the temperature increases.

I'd have to disagree. I've had a few computers now that when a crappy heatsink is put on OEM that it locks up when trying to do anything. Slip on say a global win or alpha hsf and it runs like it should.

Ive got some help removing things running in the background and at startup... I will let you know what happens.
I have a thermalright slk-800 heatsink, pretty sure its not that and ive checked everything on it.

matrix3412 said:
Ive got some help removing things running in the background and at startup... I will let you know what happens.
I have a thermalright slk-800 heatsink, pretty sure its not that and ive checked everything on it.

you never answered the rest of my questions.......

I wanted to get thru the hardware part before we moved to the rest. So are you quadruple postive the heatsink is on the right way with the pads in the right place and that you put the AS3 on the right way as shown in the directions?

Now run adaware you can find it here

Last edited:
>>>What are you running in the background ? My guess is that there's a lot of stuff starting with windows. Your computer is not "unstable", It is "choking".<<<

I agree completely. Matrix, the symptoms u describe are not instablility. It sounds like a software problem with the way Windows is using memory. If this is the case, a quick reboot should fix it right away. If not, a reformat and clean install would be a good idea. It wont take that long.

Also...when u hit "ctrl alt del" once. What crap in running in the background besides Explorer and System Tray? Try to "end task" EVERYTHING except Explorer and System tray and then go play your game and see what happens. If it works OK then its on of the programs running in the background that is causing some kind of memory allocation problem.

I know its frustrating but think of how much u learn trying to figure out this mystery! Most of what I know is from fixing things that were malfunctioning.

I think adaware blows :bang head . Personally I think spybot is better. Also you can get registry first aid from downloads.com that helps a little.

Basically just run msconfig and select like 4-5 total startup items, basically only keep the ones that sound important. Best thing you could do would be to backup what you need, and reformat and reload, like I did yesterday. There's nothing quite like a fresh pc :beer:

Samoyed said:
>>> I know its frustrating but think of how much u learn trying to figure out this mystery! Most of what I know is from fixing things that were malfunctioning.

I agree with that... its really annoying cos I went out and bought this thinking I would have a nice fast comp lol but its still good to learn all these new things... thanks for all the help everyone :)

The computer seems to be alot better now, 'no choking' anymore :) Its been on for over 3 hours now and is running fine. Been playing games ok and the temperature sticks at 41C aswell.

Ive limited startup to loading the following things:

ctfmon.exe
red swoosh edn client
nview
scan registry
taskmonitor
systemtray
nvcpldaemon
nwiz
loadpowerprofile
loadqm
asusprobe
loadpowerprofile

It seems quite a lot of things still but I dont know what else to get rid of.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

HDJ may have solved it. I think the key problem as to why it took so long is we were not clear on what u meant when u said "unstable". Generally unstable means it locks up or crashes. Slowdowns are almost always software/memory allocation problems.

Back