• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Bios Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
symptoms of the CPU_NB being too high? I have read Dolks a couple of times there just seems to be so many different views on this subject..

Not sure you actually can reach a CPU_NB that would show as TOO high. It just will not go that high normally. But if you could there would surely be errors and BSOD likely because the ram would be poorly communicating with the cpu.

Sure there are different views on the subject. Multitudes of rigs of all types. For instance at one time C_Ds FX-8350 rig would not run CPU_NB speeds much above 2650Mhz. He surely would not be saying the same thing as someone who's rig would run 2800Mhz CPU_NB.

Then others above have said they tune for one set of benches and THEN they tune another way for another bench. That right there says that there is not going to be a do A and B and C will be the result. The answer or consensus, you look for, changes with the project at hand.

2600Mhz is the default speed of the HT Link. In general most find that increasing it dramatically above that speed brings little vilsible benefits to most of the benches we use. HOWEVER, and you see the capital letters, mean there are possible differences and that is when using 3 badazz video cards in CF or SLi, there is some benefit to high HT Link Speed. I don't have 3 badazz video cards to test such theory with, but I put it in so you could see, things change. Systems change. What we are doing changes and we adjust and adjust some more keeping records of the results so we can find that "edge".

I used to see someone's sig that said...If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space. Hehehe.
RGone...:screwy:

Good stuff, thanks. I think I have enough info to give it a try & see how the different combinations come out. I'd like to thank everyone for all the comments. I'm going to revisit this thread after I get a grip on this info with my next question. MEMORY
Dan

Yes that's why I'm waiting until I get everything else down pretty good, Thanks
Good idea papadan, make sure you have the rest of the setup stable before tweaking the memory. General rules apply to memory as well, change 1 setting at a time and test.

I just thought of one more thing. The CPU_NB volt. I have mine set to 1.25v. at this time. Is there a need to incrementally raising that as the OC goes up just like Vcore.

I just thought of one more thing. The CPU_NB volt. I have mine set to 1.25v. at this time. Is there a need to incrementally raising that as the OC goes up just like Vcore.
If you're just benching and or seeing how far you can push yes, you may need to raise the Cpu Nb Voltage. For everyday computing you may not want to run it much higher then 1.25-1.3. Note: Raising the Cpu Nb V will also increase temps, just an FYI. This attachment is directly from AMD so the voltages are on the conservative side, but it's what they recommend.
Capture2.PNG

If you're just benching and or seeing how far you can push yes, you may need to raise the Cpu Nb Voltage. For everyday computing you may not want to run it much higher then 1.25-1.3. Note: Raising the Cpu Nb V will also increase temps, just an FYI. This attachment is directly from AMD so the voltages are on the conservative side, but it's what they recommend.
View attachment 138125
Nice chart it tells it all, Thanks

Yes it's a good read and with it being on an Asus board it may help you with settings on the M5A99X.

Hi, I was just goings through some of my settings & saw that I have HPC disabled. The manual really helps it says allows you to enable & disable the HPC mode. Seems like I should probably have it enabled or doesn't it do much anyway?
Dan

HPC = High performance computing
Has something to do with how the power phases are distributed.

Leave it on. ;)

I just had a read through your post and wanted to add that some of these things are very system specific. When it comes to the HT and NB I noticed on MY system tha keeping the HT 1 notch above the NB seemed( I don't have real hard data) to allow me to run my NB higher with slightly less voltage. These kinds of things really only become apparent when you start sleeping with your computer. Not literally but figuratively. I can push my NB over 3000 when I want to and will still have the HT above if it'll run at that multi otherwise I have them even. I have only found this through lots of trial and error with "my parts" does it help, I think so and that's the only person I have to satisfy, aside from my wife that is.
When really pushing the limits of cooling and your systems capabilites some times that .0625v can make or break a benchmark.

These kinds of things really only become apparent when you start sleeping with your computer. Not literally. I'm starting to believe that also. This stuff is addictive. I'm still experimenting with NB & HT Link so all input is appreciated.

When really pushing the limits of cooling and your systems capabilities some times that .0625v can make or break a benchmark.I'm really finding that out. I'm working on getting 4.75Ghz stable & it is taking large amounts of Vcore.
Dan

Back