• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some help needed, what am I missing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electromagnetic

I've recently become exausted over helping my parents with their computer problems over the phone, so I'm trying to set up a VNC server. I've sent them my old RP614 Netgear router and they have a DSL account through Earthlink, using a Sprint 645 DSL modem. The router has been set up to forward VNC before without any problems, through a different modem on my old Covad DSL.

So, I've walked them through setting everything up (used ports 5900 through 5902), they have an internet connection, I've verified the WAN address, etc. I can't get in, but then again it's my parents so maybe they didn't click "apply" when they said they did or something like that. It's been awhile since I've used VNC through a PPPoE connection so what am I missing?

BTW, I've tried connecting from home and from work (no firewall). :confused:

New request, does anyone or can anyone provide me with a screenshot of the port forwarding page from a Netgear RP614? Can't seem to find it with a google search.

Awsome, thanks, though I don't see any buttons they could have missed, now I'm thinking it's being blocked by the modem or the ISP. I'll try a different port.

Some do block certain ports because of those pisky windoze viruses. I could not do a ping or traceroute because my ISP's ISP was blocking the ports.

I think you can traceroute and specify the port to use. That may tell you where it gets stopped. I don't know how to do it but I think you can do that.

Later

:D :D :D

I should have mentioned that no TCP ports are open. I'm giving the whole thing a rest, I had my parents do a thorough spyware/virus scan and they seem to be fine now. I've also got them behind a router so they're much safer now. I'll try terminal services and see if that works.

Back