• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Questions about UCC, CoreTemps with Athlon X3 445 (Rana)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGore

I got some Questions about the Temperatures of my CPU.

Mainboard : ASRock 870 Extreme 3
CPU : AMD Athon II X3 445

cannot find info about my CPU cooler but it is one with a Headpipe and was recommendet about 2 years ago as on of the best.

Iam using AIDA 64 to read the Temperatures because i think that these are realistic ones.
I tried CoreTemp, SpeedFan, and the OC tuner software but every programm even if all 4 run at the same time shows different Temperatures from 39 ~ 88 degree.

If UCC is off the system runs Stable at
CPU 45
Core 1 39
Core 2 39
Core 3 39

If i Activate UCC the system runs at
CPU 60
Core 1 70
Core 2 70
Core 3 70
Core 4 70

CPU-Z shows that the CPU now runs like an Phentom X4 B45 with 4 Cores but without the L3-Cache.

I stress testet the CPU while using Prime 95.

so my primary questions now are
1. which Temperature is the importent one, the CoreTemps ore the CPU temp ?
2. I cannot realy find any informations about the max temp of this specific CPU do anybody of you know it ?

The temperature of the cores, its considered to be the most important reading. "CPU" temp is actually CPU socket temp, taken from a sensor embedded in the CPU socket area. However, CPU temp can be helpful too, for a number of reasons:

1. When cores are unlocked, the temp reading from the cores is typically disabled so you have only the CPU socket temp to go from. Usually, in that case the cores will give a "0" value but sometimes another weird value will present. What we do in that case to estimate the the temp of the cores is to note the differential between CPU temp and core temp with the cores still locked (done under load, not at idle) because that differential value should remain constant regardless of how many cores are being run. Then when you switch back to unlocked mode you just do the math to get a good estimate of the core temp.
2. When there is reason to suspect, even when not unlocking cores, that the core temp calibration is way off. Thuban core Phenom IIs, for instance, typically give a core temp reading that is approximately 10 C. too low.
3. When the motherboard employs thermal down-throttling technology that is triggered by reaching a socket temp threshold.

It is also worth noting that the locked cores can be flawed in such a way that causes them to draw an inordinate amount of power when unlocked such that temps skyrocket.

What is unusual in your case is that your L3 cache did not unlock with the fourth core. It's really an Athlon II instead of a Phenom II.

Big thx so far
that it is an Athlon II is cleary because i got one with a Rana series not one from Deneb. So i knew bevorhand that i dont get the LvL Cache.

As an exampel with locked 4th Core the Differenc is 6 Degree (because CPU temp is 44, Core Temps are 39) so when i Unlock the Core and there is a CPU Temp show off 60 it is realy 54 if i understand you correctly.

Yeah, that's the idea.

We also know that essentially all significantly overclocked AMD CPU lines will begin to show instability when core temps reach about 55 C. and that instability sets in before unsafe temps are reached.

If you are overclocking make sure you run Prime95 (I prefer the "blend" test because of its balance) for at least two hours before your conclude you overclock settings are stable.

Last edited:
Ok i will try it right now to run Prime95 for 2 hours and will see what happens ;-)

Back