• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

somebody probably alrdy thought this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cthulhu0

Registered
has anyone thought of rig placement in the room?

could the room be thought of as a big "case", and depending on where you place the rig, you would have hot-spots that could be recirculated back into the computer.

not sure if this would make any perceivable difference, maybe in winter with heater.:eh?:

thats a good question.
it would really depends on how big this room is and how big and many things there are in the room. but unlike a case, temperatures inside the room tends to stabilize, as long as you got at least some of air circulation.

Room temps make a difference, and especially ventillation behind the PSU. Your PSU exhaust is always the hottest air coming out of your case (unless something else catches on fire). You must ventillate further or you get a big fat radiator called the whole back of your case.

sure.. some people run their rigs out of case all the time..

i used to too.. but i got a case now, easier to insulate it for less noise..

room placement may make a slight difference... on a similar thought, the most important factor regarding rig placement is more local than "the whole room". A lot of people like to hide their computers a little bit and shove them beneath the desk, or stick them on a shelve where air doesnt flow as freely - if one were concerned about their computer cooling it would be a better idea to put it somewhere where all exhausts and intakes have atleast a good clearance of 6" to suck or 12" to blow (these are just my rule of thumbs, no science here). if the rig is sitting somewhere where the air doesnt flow well, like under a desk, then the room air under the desk will likely be slightly warmer than the air in the rest of the room, so its something to consider.

Or you could push it against the back and just cut out holes for video, keyboard, etc plugs and the exhaust fans. If you have a cheepy pringles-wood desk like I do, that'd probably be best to keep the comp out of the way. (My desk doesnt have anywhere to put the comp, so I don't do this, just an idea.)

In my opinion, it is very much loke a case. Think of it...

heater=cpu (produces the most heat)
lamps=vidoe card(also produce heat)
apliances=components of pc(produce heat if opperational)
door=case side(if opened, cold air enters)
windows=fans(if up cold air entes)

My case is placed right in the airflow from the vents. Right now, that means that it's getting hot air direct from the furnace, and the CPU temp goes up a degree or two whenever the furnace is running. During the summer, however, that turns into a one to two degree drop in temperatures.

cmb11.jpg

(Main rig on left, server on right)
This is how I have my computers. There is no back on the cabinet, and is about 2” from the wall. If it’s not too hot in my room, I can even close the front door and it really shuts out the sound, although I usually just leave the door open.

The airflow is fairly good, and temps aren’t too much hotter than they were when the cases were outside.

Back