• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something blew up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

merz.38

Hello,
I've got kind of an interesting issue. So this weekend, I noticed a faint smell of something electrical burning, but seing as how nothing was obviously on fire, I shrugged it off. Then, earlier today I tried to use my desktop and it wouldn't wake up from 'sleep mode'. Also, all of my USB items which have lights in them, (keyboard, mouse, SD card reader) were all lit up, which is unusual for it being in sleep mode.Then I noticed that the power strip that everything is plugged into had melted partway (see attached pics).

Then after fumbling with a few of the attachments, and switching everything off of the power strip and plugging it into the wall. My tower still wont even turn on. However, nothing else that was plugged into the power strip seems to be effected. The monitors are fine, my dewalt battery charger seems to be fine, etc. There are no visual symptoms that I can see from first glance that there is anything awry with my computer on the inside

I proceeded to diagnose the following symptoms:

I get a light on the mobo that indicates that it is in fact getting power, however both pressing the chassis on/off button and the mobo on/off button nothing happens.

I then proceeded to jump my power supply and check all of the connectors on the 24 pin connector and all of the connectors read the appropriate voltage.

Any hints or tips that anyone wants to offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally scratching my head on this issue at this point.

Also: My comp specs are the one in my sig

Attachments

• 2013-01-21_20-44-49_740.jpg
    2013-01-21_20-44-49_740.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2013-01-21_20-44-56_483.jpg
    2013-01-21_20-44-56_483.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2013-01-21_20-45-06_471.jpg
    2013-01-21_20-45-06_471.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 121
It could be the mobo power on switch went, or even the case power button got burned out.
Have you tried to reset the Cmos, take battery out for like 15min, with the computer unplugged. Or maybe jumping the cmos reset pins.

Looks like a POS power strip. :screwy:

I have a power strip that can take roughly 500 W continuous. Never a problem.

That problem would not be caused by an ATX power button. If PSU-related, probably a primary fault.

It could be the mobo power on switch went, or even the case power button got burned out.
Have you tried to reset the Cmos, take battery out for like 15min, with the computer unplugged. Or maybe jumping the cmos reset pins.
That's an idea I may try that when I get home. But I'm not holding my breath after those photos.

Back