• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something is screwed, What do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greywalker

I formatted my HDD, long overdue. Seemed like something wasn't working, windows failed to install properly several times. I replaced the HDD with a backup, same deal. Will start in safe mode
and so far that's all I can do with stabiliy. Usually it crashes when loaded normally and that's after many failed attempts to fully load the OS. I'm wondering if it's a plug or some **** I've over-
looking.

http://vid176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/greywalker/2015-02-15 21.33.02.mp4

are you using an ODD disk or usb? sounds like its your installation media.
if you are using a dvd run a lens cleaner through the drive and check for scratches on the disk
if you are using a usb drive re-copy the files onto it and test the drives integrity.

Thanks for the quick replies! I am a procrastinator and pretty good at it. I replaced the SATA cable just now, same issue. Basically it tries to load windows normally and blue screens and restarts, rinse and repeat. I am using a hdd 500gb, 7200, seagate or something, I never buy generic or cheap (even when used) data storage. I have another drive I can try that with, but this is a second drive already with the same issue. I

+1 for checking your installation media. The chances of using two bad disks in a row are slim to none. You tried a new cable, so that leaves the motherboard, the installation media, or the drive if using a DVD. If you're using a DVD, reburn the image and try again. If you have another optical drive, try that. Otherwise, try installing from a flash drive.

Try an install with the absolute minimum of gear, i.e. one stick of RAM, optical drive, hard drive, nothing else plugged in. This may entail changing some BIOS settings if you are using any of your mobo's onboard stuff. You can always add everything back after the install. Usually Win 7 won't have a problem with your gear, but it has been known to happen in earlier iterations of Windows

Could be a bad SATA controller on the motherboard. Had that happen recently on a client's computer. It was corrupting data on hard drives. I replaced several drives and the SATA cable. Finally, I installed a PCI SATA add on card, connected the drives to it and the problem disappeared.

Back