• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Says: PS3 To Cheap In Canada We'll Raise It $40

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37266

$700 for a conosle and they say thats too cheap god how much do they charge over there for HD-TV's $2000. Companies are getting away with what ever they want nowadays Sony are let off this price thing cause of the hardware thats in the PS3.

It's £425 when it's released in March in the Uk but I bought a 360 2 weeks ago with Gears Of War & Call of Duty 3 for £300 there online modes are so fun and addictive.

Yep, welcome to the world known only as "rip off Britain" neur0mancer...

I was actually going to get a PS3 but this is just dumb now, I refuse to pay these stupid like 50% inflated price items anymore... They might sell it for a loss everywhere in the world but they certianly won't be making a profit from me with their price.
Europeans don't mind waiting Sony? You're right, I can wait aslong as it takes for the price to fall in line with the rest of world....

And I thought things were cheaper over seas. My UK friend is always ranting about how she buys this or that for 8-15 dollars less then me.

wow since the PS3's launch was such a success in the States at $600 I bet it's just going to fly off the shelves in Europe at $835

SeasonalEclipse said:
And I thought things were cheaper over seas. My UK friend is always ranting about how she buys this or that for 8-15 dollars less then me.

Not always. I have a friend in England who was looking for a 2gig set of ram. Well he found some at £250 which is $489.95. After he told me this I said why don't you have me get you ram over here and ship it to you. Seeing as I found a better kitt over here for $200 which is £102.0512. And shipping is only $15 £7.6538, so he is saving a nice chunk of change.

Oni said:
Sony had nothing to do with this. It was the Canadian retailers who raised the price. Namely, Futureshop and Best Buy (Canada). They are the ones who raised the price, not Sony.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-ps3-p...e--29479.phtml

Oni you might want to reread that. Sony hiked the price both Future Shop and Best Buy are listing the console at the new price.

As Oni said Sony has not touched the price. Retailers are just raising it past the SRP price to whatever they want.

Sony Rep:
Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase.

weak canadian dollar??????? the highest the canadian dollar has been since 2000 was 91c usd in may of 2006. it is now at 84.4c. the lowest it has been was in Jan of 2002, it got down to 61.8c usd.

if that is their reasoning, they are pulling it out of their ***.

source: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/can_us_lookup.html

*edit, i just did a search the same way, but instead of 2000-2007, i used 1980-2007, and the high/low was the same. going back to 1957 is the only time that the dollar got higher than it was in may of 06, it was worth $1.0614 usd.

Prices are a bit high up here. I usually try to reserve purchasing any big ticket items until I can get over to Buffalo or back home in Tennessee. Sales taxes are a LOT higher here too, it's like %15-%17 with PST and GST

hUMANbEATbOX said:
weak canadian dollar??????? the highest the canadian dollar has been since 2000 was 91c usd in may of 2006. it is now at 84.4c. the lowest it has been was in Jan of 2002, it got down to 61.8c usd.

if that is their reasoning, they are pulling it out of their ***.

source: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/can_us_lookup.html

*edit, i just did a search the same way, but instead of 2000-2007, i used 1980-2007, and the high/low was the same. going back to 1957 is the only time that the dollar got higher than it was in may of 06, it was worth $1.0614 usd.

Really not the point. The point is that they are not raising the prices. So in the end why care what reason they give when they are not involved in it?

tenchi86 said:
As Oni said Sony has not touched the price. Retailers are just raising it past the SRP price to whatever they want.

Sony Rep:

Sony has hiked the price on the Playstation 3 60 GB unit in Canada from $649.99 to $699.99 in a very head-up-their-butts move recently. Both Future Shop and Best Buy are listing the console at the new price which has myself and probably other gamers hugging their Xbox 360s and Nintendo Wiis for being so cheap.

Seems odd as this is what was said at the site Oni linked to.

tenchi86 said:
Really not the point. The point is that they are not raising the prices. So in the end why care what reason they give when they are not involved in it?
yes THEY are raising the price. notice i didn't say sony, so in this case, when i said THEY i was referring to the quote you posted, so i was talking about the canadian retailers. my point was that that is a sorry excuse, no matter who is using it.

tenchi86 said:
Sony never said the dollar was weak, they said it was "weaker" as in compared to say the American dollar.

did sony just come out of a 50 year coma? because that was the last time that the canadian dollar wasn't weaker than the american dollar. and if they didn't initiate the price jump, why would they even be talking about my loonies?

Last edited:
Well my mistake, but by you saying "their reasoning" and the stores themselves not giving a reason it leads one to think you mean sony since they are as of yet the only ones to speak on the subject.

AngelfireUk83 said:
god how much do they charge over there for HD-TV's

Well in france and i think europe they consider Big Tv's 32"+ A luxury and add a luxury tax to them. I was like WTF!!! F that! I say everyone boycot sony, japan is, i read in an article that ps3's were sitting on the shelf till either sony drops the price or games worth playing were released. That is awsome. Makes me laugh actually. GO NINTENDO!!!! WII!!!!!

PYROMANIAC said:

Because we pay lots more than you guys do on everything. We'd like a break, someday. I am sick of paying seeing 200 bucks the average price for a 3800+ x2 when its like 100$ in the states.

Back