• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Sound card and PCIE slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaaG

Am I correct with being able to put a PCIe x1 card in a PCIE x 4/8/16 slot?

This is for a sound card, I have a GTX570 triple slot card and it looks like the x1 slot would be right on the fans of the card, so if I move it to a x8/16 slot the spacing would be good.

Yea i believe you should be able to. My bro did the opposite, he had an x16 graphics card on a x1 and it worked, just not as good.

Back on topic tho, a 1x card can go into a x16 slot and work correct? it physically fits no problem.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, just wanted to confirm.

A 16x card cannot fit in a 1x slot... physical slot that is. I assume you mean electrical?
A x16 card will fit in an open back x1 slot as long as nothing else blocks it. (And it's pretty easy to open the back with a knife.) I actually did that with an old N7700 NAS in order to add a video card for getting a local console on a Ubuntu install.

Back