• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Deadening Stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The wood sheet mentioned is probably 'MDF' or medium density fibreboard which is a highly compressed chipboard type wood known for its good accoustic properties repsctive to price. A more superior wood is marine plyboard however this costs a great deal more.. Both are used to make speaker cabinets in the car audio industry

Last edited:
Last edited:
Isn't There some type of padding that dampens sound?
I herd of this before...It was white and had ridges on the
front. It looked a bit different than packing foam.

On the sides of my case I use Rockford Fosgate thermal hood liner for the simple reason it features a heat reflective surface and as such does not 'store' heat to the same extent that Dynomat does. I accompany this with noise killer (called noize blocker now for some reason) which is sprayed on the internal frame of the case.

The wood sheet mentioned is probably 'MDF' or medium density fibreboard which is a highly compressed chipboard type wood known for its good accoustic properties repsctive to price. A more superior wood is marine plyboard however this costs a great deal more.. Both are used to make speaker cabinets in the car audio industry

I dont think thats the same stuff

what Im talking about is very soft and was in the insolating section of the hardwood store

i could be wrong but I you talking about partical board?

Warlord2 said:

I dont think thats the same stuff

what Im talking about is very soft and was in the insolating section of the hardwood store

i could be wrong but I you talking about partical board?

Perhaps we are talking about different types of material however I would believe that using any material for this purpose which insulates would not be a good thing respective to case temperatures

One of the most effective measures for me was to tke the HDD (IBM 40 Gig 7200rpm) and put it in a 5 1/4" Drive bay on top of some rubber foam. The foam goes only on the sides so that air can still circulate around the drive freely. If you have a high rpm drive you'll be suprised how much difference this mod makes and it's essentially free.

Other than that I use water cooling, 2x 80mm Noise Blocker Fans which are really great and very quiet. The might not meet your cfm requirements though.

Another thing is to put a really silent fan in your PSU. I have a 80mm Papst 12dba fan that I put into mine and you can't hear it at all.

The only thing still making noise in my rig is my ****y NB cooler which I'm gonna replace with water cooling this week.

Back