• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speeding up DVD burning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
I am using DVD Shrink along with Nero to backup DVD's however it takes quite a while to backup and burn a DVD. The actual burning doesn't take that long, but backing the image up to the HD takes the longest time (appx 45 - 50 minutes). You can look at my sig and see I have a decently quick computer (try to upgrade once a year). I thought about going to a Raid setup (getting another 400 GB Seagate 7200.10). When I bought my Plextor DVD-RW's they were pretty much the best thing on the market and though I haven't looked recently they should still be pretty good drives. Any suggestions?

If you are compressing the DVD files as you put them on the HDD it will slow things down a bit. I don't know that another HDD in RAID0 would help. It's the read speed of the drive, and more importantly, the complexity of the compression that is slowing things down. OC that quad for improved performance!

I'm assuming you use standard 4.7GB blank DVD's. Most DVD's nowadays are dual-layer (9GB). I always use the "re-author" feature of Shrink to get rid of as much as possible, so that I don't have to compress the movie. I want full quality, and extra soundfields, languages, menus, trailers, extras, and even credits can be edited out to preserve quality, and ease encoding time. If I really want to keep the extras I'll burn 2 DVD's; 1 of the movie, and 1 of the extras. Some movies are just huge by themselves, and I either split them up onto 2 discs, or use some dual-layer discs (I have a small stash of them).

If you don't use any compression the movie will transfer to the HDD very quickly.

If you are compressing the DVD files as you put them on the HDD it will slow things down a bit. I don't know that another HDD in RAID0 would help. It's the read speed of the drive, and more importantly, the complexity of the compression that is slowing things down. OC that quad for improved performance!

I'm assuming you use standard 4.7GB blank DVD's. Most DVD's nowadays are dual-layer (9GB). I always use the "re-author" feature of Shrink to get rid of as much as possible, so that I don't have to compress the movie. I want full quality, and extra soundfields, languages, menus, trailers, extras, and even credits can be edited out to preserve quality, and ease encoding time. If I really want to keep the extras I'll burn 2 DVD's; 1 of the movie, and 1 of the extras. Some movies are just huge by themselves, and I either split them up onto 2 discs, or use some dual-layer discs (I have a small stash of them).

If you don't use any compression the movie will transfer to the HDD very quickly.

In your experience, whats an average time for backup?

Hmm...well, it generally takes less then 20 minutes for ripping the video onto the hard drive on my side. 14 minutes on my latest logfile. Longest in my logfiles shows 24 minutes.

EDIT: Also note that I rip the movie only, no extras. This could make for the extra time.

Last edited:
Somethings not right. A good burner should be able to rip a full dual layer film in 12 minutes or less. Single layer takes maybe 5 minutes if I'm remembering correctly. Look around on the net to see if your burner has riplock. If so there may be another firmware you can update to to get rid of it. Even if your compressing to 50% your cpu should cut through it like a hot knife through butter. When I got my e6400 the cpu ceased to be a bottleneck with movie ripping\burning. Yours is obviously much better.

Why would you want to re-enable it?

Good Info Know Nuttin! I've heard of rip-lock, but never knew what it was. Apparently you do Know Sumtin'!

Does this eject button trick work on all burners? Does it stick; do you have to re-do it every time you reboot? I'm guessing you can make this permanent w/ some kind of firmware hack. Time to go visit CDFreaks.com!

Well I figured rip-lock was designed to slow down people trying to rip DVD's. Just guessing, though.

I don't watch DVD's on my PC, so I hadn't thought about that, but your point is definitely valid.

Now if we could just get our questions answered...

Ok, problem. It seems I have to do this evertime, even though there is not DVD in the player. Also, I get major errors with this disabled and have major problems burning (a lot of coasters).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a way to keep riplock removed permanently. I don't have a 760 to see if crossflashing to another model would allow for permanent riplock removal via firmware.
What media are you using?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a way to keep riplock removed permanently. I don't have a 760 to see if crossflashing to another model would allow for permanent riplock removal via firmware.
What media are you using?

Right now some Ridata DVD+R 16x

Ridata/Ritek are not very good anymore. Even Verbatim MCC004 aren't very consistently good. I burn all 16x media at whatever speed gives the best results using whichever burner I am using.
Have you ensured you are using the most up-to-date firmware for the drive?

Back